A UAV to Travel With?

Discussion in 'General Drone Forums' started by Mystery.Shadow, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Mystery.Shadow

Mystery.Shadow Active Member

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    I have a DJI Inspire 1, and it is a great UAV! The only problem I have with it, it's big! I mean, it's really big. (And heavy too!) As much as I would like to travel with it, it is rather cumbersome. Whether checking it as luggage, or just hiking through the forest, it's rather taxing.

I am still interested in a UAV with a three-axis gimbal and takes 4k video. Can anyone suggest a smaller, more lightweight option for travel?

Thanks!

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    To be honest, in my opinion, you can't get much lighter and better than the Phantom 3 Pro. It's even using the same camera actually, just in a different camera body. And you use the same app to fly it, and the controlls are pretty much identical.

3. DukeM

DukeM Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Male
    Koln
    The Yuneec Q500 4K is light and nice video but the box is heavy. You can buy a cheap carry backpack though that is much lighter then it is easy to carry.

4. Mystery.Shadow

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    I've seen Sara carry her Yuneec Q500 around strapped to her back. Didn't look too cumbersome.

I was exploring the idea of the DJI Phantom series. Was wondering if I could use the same remote and/or use the Phantom's remote as a slave for the Inspire 1.

Ragnarok and Jonathan like this.
  5. dronehdtv

dronehdtv Active Member

As a owner of Yuneecs I would differ on it being a good portable solution for travel. It is bigger than the DJI inspire and bulky to carry.. I suggest P3 pro as it will go in hand luggage

6. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Sorry, no you can't. The controllers look similar, but they aren't the same.

7. Mystery.Shadow

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    D'oh!! There goes that idea....
    Thanks for the heads up.

8. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Meh, just buy a DJI P3 Pro anyway, you won't regret it. Makes a good backup for the Inspire, especially as a more expendable craft when you're doing some scary like flying over water.

Mystery.Shadow likes this.
  9. Mystery.Shadow

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    Ha ha, nice. Good idea! Always nice to have a "backup" UAV. These things aren't very expensive anyway....
    ;)

10. Mystery.Shadow

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    I have traveled with my Inspire 1 as checked baggage while traveling. But still bulky and heavy when walking it to the launch area!

Here's my hometown Cumberland, Maryland (U.S.A.):

And when I was in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.

And even in Orlando, Florida!

I'll be in the Caribbean this Spring, and considered about taking the Inspire 1 with me.

Dava and Jonathan like this.
  11. dronehdtv

dronehdtv Active Member

To be truthful -Mystery.Shadow You have a inspire and come to this forum asking what small drone you need. I have to say go shove your post up your controller as you already know the answers to your questions. as a result of your footage posts, I have seen better with a DJI vision 2 plus. Good luck with your inspire

12. Mystery.Shadow

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    Love you too! :)

DukeM, Ragnarok, Dava and 1 other person like this.
  13. Dava

Dava Active Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Male
    Walrus polisher.
    Wow dronehdtv that was a bit harsh. What's that all about?

Mystery.Shadow and DukeM like this.
  14. DukeM

DukeM Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Male
    Koln
    It is big in shape but not very heavy. You may remove the legs then it is flat. It would make sense to have p3 however if you already have inspire if it is true the camera is the same.

15. Mystery.Shadow

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    Thanks all for the suggestions. One person cannot possibly know everything. That's why I ask.
    :) "Drone Minds is a not-for-profit platform promoting good uses for drones, bringing together the drone community, and sharing knowledge." :)

Jonathan likes this.
  16. dronehdtv

dronehdtv Active Member

Yes harsh but know the user from another forum.. knows more than asked simply

17. Mystery.Shadow

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    #17 Mystery.Shadow, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    I don't know you, you don't know me....
    Please explain which forum(s) those may be. Since this is the only one I have ever asked this question on.

Would be silly that all this hatred were over someone posting on a different forum with a similar screen name.

18. dronehdtv

dronehdtv Active Member

I am not getting into nasty stuff but like I said before. And you said this is the only forum you have ever asked a question on.
    Maybe a mistake of mine? and its not for me to say who you are here... not my platform too.
    [​IMG]

19. Mystery.Shadow

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    ...asked THIS question on.

Okay, you got me. I use forums. But the topic in question (UAV to Travel With) was ONLY EVER ASKED ON THIS FORUM !

The above question you quoted above has nothing to do with the original post in this Forum. So why the hatred?

20. dronehdtv

dronehdtv Active Member