Yuneec Q500 dropping parachutes and more...

Discussion in 'Yuneec Drones' started by Sara, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Sara

Sara Drone Minds Presenter/Pilot

Sep 9, 2015
    Female
    York, UK
    As the payload and battery life increases, drones will play an important role in rescue missions, deliveries and so on. We thought we would try to test some of these possibilities with the Q500 drone with more silly things like toy parachutes and balls.

The Yuneec Q500 with the 4K camera is our ‘go to’ when it comes to drone experiments….This time we thought we would try to attach a dropbox powered by the drone’s own 12 volt power supply, triggered by a separate controller.

We were limited by the size of the dropbox, but we had some ideas for the future about how to make it bigger and still be able to take off.

sara-drone-minds-yuneec.jpg balls-in-the-air-drone-minds.jpg DSC06983.jpg

more pictures on the Drone Gallery: http://www.droneminds.com/forums/index.php?media/albums/yuneec-q500-drop-deploy.9/

2. Sara

Sara Drone Minds Presenter/Pilot

Sep 9, 2015
    Female
    York, UK
  3. Thomas

Thomas New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Male
    Why has no one developed a parachute system for the yuneec I know Mars parachutes have them for the other make drones and I had contacted them and they were in the process of setting a way for it to be released then they stopped due to having to work with the FAA on other things and were can I buy this drop system for my Q500

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    To be honest, drones are at a point now where the kind of fault where a parachute would help are so rare it's hardly worth adding one. It also adds another point of failure, an extra system to go wrong.

5. Thomas

Thomas New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Male
    yes but it is another added safety feature take the typhoon H so many of them falling out the sky due to system error I am thinking about upgrading to a H but to be honest it's putting me off and I might just stay with my trusty Q500 altho if I can get a chute system for the H then I would go for it as it's expensive enough

6. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Really, you would buy a H even though you think there are so many of them falling out of the sky? I would prefer something that isn't likely to fall out of the sky, than buy something that is likely but comes with a parachute.

7. Thomas

Thomas New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Male
    I don't like DJI products they collect your data hence why the us military have stopped using with immediate effect yes I do like the yuneec brand and also with yuneec as long as you can send them your telemetry you should get full replacement if it's found out that it's a software fault

8. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    #8 Jonathan, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    The US military were never using DJI products. US military personnel were though, in their spare time. They were told not to use them anymore because of the data collection, because DJI could make a connection with GPS data and the images taken with their drones, which you wouldn't want with military bases etc. To be fair, it's pretty much the same data mobile phones share and geotagging cameras etc, just America has a bit of a 'thing' about a company in China being the recipient of American data.

Facebook collects tonnes of data on pretty much everyone in the world apart from, ironically, people in China where Facebook is banned. :)

P.S. Yuneec did replace a Q500 4K of mine that ditched itself into some water a couple of years back. It took a few months and a bit of badgering, but they did do it in the end.

9. Thomas

Thomas New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Male
    I see yes I don't have Facebook anymore got caught out with 2 woman I suppose I was being greedy lol yes I have heard yuneec are not the quickest when it comes to things like that I can't fault yuneec UK tho I had 2 batteries down with a faulty cell and had them back with in a week did you find out what caused your Q500 to ditch it's self

10. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    No idea, I sent them the logs but they didn't know either. It veered off suddenly to the right, hit a wall then fell into some floodwater. I found it when the water went down the next day.
    Q500s do weird things like that sometimes though, only you don't always worry about it when there's no wall in the way. It probably would have recovered if not for that? I still like them, had a few actually. Wouldn't mind the orange H, looks nice.