UDI U829A UFO Quadcopter

Discussion in 'General Drone Forums' started by Jonathan, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    I went to Leeds model shop the other day at Cross Gates to get some tools and ended up buying this UDI U829A UFO Quadcopter.

It cost about £85 and was a bit of a compromise as I was looking at a Blade helicopter for £160 but decided that was too much to spend seeing as I’d only gone to buy a set of hex drivers.

Anyway, I’m really happy that I bought this as it flies really nice, and in fact it’s a joy to fly. This one will not be going up on the wall with the other stuff I don’t fly anymore just yet.

It has a built in camera which is total pants that would have been out of date 5 years ago, but I don’t really care about that. I can easily put on a different, better camera like the full HD HK Wing Cam II or the 720p 808 Key chain Camera.

I just love the flight characteristics of this AR Drone-like quadcopter, it’s graceful and agile at the same time and it will bounce off walls and legs.

I’m thinking if using it as a trainer quadcopter for its ease of use and non-intimidating aspects. My friend Alex is interested in having a go at flying but never really tried it before. He’s tried the Nano quad and other small toys, but they’re actually really difficult to fly compared to this.

Also, because of its size, you can get some quite decent height out of it and still see your orientation so I think it will be an ideal trainer for moving onto more expensive quadcopters for aerial photography. You can fly this around doing circuits and nose-in flying without worrying too much about messing up and crashing it.

The battery is a 850mah 2 cell 7.4v and gives you nearly 10 minutes of flight time I think, though I did run the battery almost complete down. Still, with this size of battery and lightness of quadcopter you don’t really need to worry about the battery’s longevity too much. I already ordered a couple of spares for only 6 quid, which is not a lot at all compared to the £400 + battery sets x6 I had to buy for the pro hexacopter.

I mentioned the AR Drone before because they are a little similar with the nacelles on, protecting the props/you from the props, but I actually prefer this quadcopter I think. It’s a lot cheaper for a start, has a bit more umph and comes with a proper radio instead of flying with a stupid iPhone or whatever.

I’d never normally buy one of these, what I call no name brands, but I’m very glad I did, it’s a lot of fun.

Please let me know what you think and if I missed anything out.

Attached Files:

2. holyforehead

holyforehead New Member

Aug 31, 2013
    Well you've convinced me to go out and buy one! A quick search on the web has shown there's plenty of online retailers selling them but I'll have to check my local model shop at the next opportunity I get, seeing as I always seem to grab a bargain when I go there!

3. Dava

Dava Active Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Male
    Walrus polisher.
    Like it are you going to put another camera on and try it?

4. Taysider

Taysider New Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Saw your review, loved it, bought it. Can you assist? Where did you purchase spare batteries for £6?

My nearest shop sell for £14.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    I bought two of these from amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M924F76/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tiny bit slimmer so you might want to stick a bit of card in with them.

6. biniu

biniu New Member

Sep 3, 2014
    Hi and hello to everyone, I saw your review and bought one 829A (it was very chip 71EUR with S&H). When it arrived radio was broken (20m range) but after disassemble transmitter I saw that antenna was taped but not soldered to transmitter. I've manage to repair it but still I have no manual so I don't understand what for all this buttons are (mode, channel).  Maybe someone can scan EN manual for this drone?
    Second question is for 'advance' users of RC models: is it possible to connect Mobius Action Cam like this stock on 829A so I can start/stop recording from remote?
    I also have some spare 18650lion cells from flashlight and it looks like there will be no problem to make pack for this toy. If I manage to do this I will have 3100mAh cell that should last for min 20min ;)

7. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    The mode button is only used if you want to change from mode 2 to mode 1, mode 1 is using the right stick as the throttle instead of the left. The channels button just changes the number of channels from 4 to 3, I have no idea why you would want to do that? The speed buttom makes the quadcopter more agile. I'm not sure what the switch is for on the top right, maybe to flip it in 100% speed?

I think your camera idea could be possible, the wires are all there after all? Give it a try and let us know.

8. Mick

Mick Member

Oct 15, 2014
    I slightly modified mine as shown, by replacing the battery with a bigger EFlite 1300mAh. Getting over 10mins instead of 5 with the battery that came with it. Dumped the battery holder/camera & shaved of the sides to make the battery fit flat underneath. A 1000mAh may have done just as good been a little lighter by about 9g. but I'm happy enough with the extra flight time.

[​IMG]

9. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Nice, great flight times. It's a good flyer, I still really like mine.

10. Mick

Mick Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Hi biniu, putting bigger batteries on sounds good but the extra weight may be a problem especially if you want to add a camera also.  I found out that with the supplied battery and with a Hero3 camera with it's waterproof casing it did'nt last in the air to long (about 10secs) when it crash landed it could'nt get of the ground. Maybe without the cameras casing it might have had a better chance, have'nt tried it since. Just be aware when doing videos that the day is calm as possible and don't go to high as this aircraft does not like wind.

11. Mick

Mick Member

Oct 15, 2014
    biniu, heres a few photos I took of the manual I hope they help. Not the best way to copy it, hope you can make out the print.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Mick

Mick Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Getting ready for that time of year again,only a month away, got this new mod for my UFO(you can call it that now). Lights look great, tried a flight this evening with very little reduction in flight time.
    [​IMG]

13. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Oh my god, that's a mint excuse to get my UFO out again. Bought a few spare batteries for it too.  :)

14. Mick

Mick Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Here's a short video demo

15. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    That is so cool, I've got to give it a try!  8)

16. Mick

Mick Member

Oct 15, 2014
    I have my 829 gone naked for the summer. Now foamless and lighter with a 1300mAh lipo I get over 13mins flight time. It's alot faster and easier to fly, but I will put it back to it's original form with the LEDs when the dull winter evenings arrive.
    [​IMG]

17. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Wow, that looks a lot different!  :)