OAS Hobby Wasp 230

Discussion in 'General Drone Forums' started by Sgt_Woody, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Sgt_Woody

Sgt_Woody New Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Male
    Product Reviewer
    San Marcos
    So this frame was donated to me for reviewing and I must say I am impressed. My initial expectations were for it to be too heavy and too slow blah blah but in reality, it redefined the 200-250 sized race quads for me.

[​IMG]

If you dont feel like reading a whole bunch here is the video:

If you do feel like reading then carry on!

So out of the box this sucker was a bit heavy coming in at 135g with the 3d printed skirt.

[​IMG]

So I figured, heavy quad needs a solid powerful moter set up. Enter DYS XM30a and DYS 2205-2300kv

[​IMG]

The Wasp utilized the Lumineer PDB so things got a little tight with these larger ESCs, but some careful soldering got them in there tight.

[​IMG]

All in all a total up weight came to 563g and honestly it flies quite well. The upper and lower plates are 3mm carbon with 4mm arms utilized a sandwich technique to hold everything in place. The price is a bit steep at $138 but I will definitely say the quality is top notch. I have had repeated crashes now utilizing it as a test bed for other products and havent seen a lick of damage on the carbon fiber. The 3d printed skirt on the other hand.... well it is inevitable that it would see damage and as such mine has split a bit. Not a big deal, add a little hot glue on the back side and boom ready to go.

As to customer service, OAS is definitely one of the more helpful ones. Throughout the build they supplied me with photos and tips and tricks and put me in contact with a few of their team pilots as well as talked set ups and modifications until my heart was content. Turns out in the end I deviated from the original intended design by flipping the skirt upside down and running the arms with a lower profile look. I had to trim away the original camera mounts but they liked the look so much they machined out some aluminum camera mounts and have replaced their design with this new method. Great folks and great to work with.

I would definitely recommend this frame to anyone who is looking for a sold hybrid racer/acro type quad. I am now flying this thing with an SPR F3 board on Raceflight and the ESCs on Multishot and it is an extremely well handling beast that is only beat by the dedicated race frames running <45 degree tilt.

Check them out!
    http://oashobby.com/products/230-wasp

Check me and my work out!
    https://www.facebook.com/woodysbuilds/

Check us out for more product review!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmEkyQDaSxGDk-J2zuHIfhQ

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    It looks quite ruggedized with that white strip around it, is it strong?

3. Sgt_Woody

Sgt_Woody New Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Male
    Product Reviewer
    San Marcos
    This thing is insanely strong. The only damage I've sustained is the skirt splting from prop strikes and an arm slipping one time