Got a bit lost today, had to make a landing 2.5km away!

Discussion in 'General Drone Forums' started by MatZeRO, Apr 14, 2014.

1. MatZeRO

MatZeRO New Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Got a bit lost while having a fly with the capi. Bit silly really, I for some reason didn't know where I was and my spotter started to give me bad info (not their fault, they did their best).

Had to have a fly around for a bit and then ended up making a landing 2.5km away from where I took off.

Here is the video, its not terribly exciting but if you have a spare 7 minutes its interesting to see how easy it is to get lost.  Looking back at the video I can see see I was a bit thick!  The video has a computer voice doing some commentary :)

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    I've been in similar situations. It's really easy to get lost with planes. You can get high up really quickly, and you can't stop and hover to get your bearings so easy. I have an on screen display that points the way home, but even with that it can be difficult to spot the field I'm in on the ground from a few hundred feet up through a gopro.

My worst mistake was chucking a plane up from a clearing in some trees, thinking I'd get a nice view of the tree canopy. Unfortunately the trees blocked the video signal and I lost line of site really quickly from by constrained vantage point. I tried to steer it back using hearing alone, which didn't work at all. :)

3. MatZeRO

MatZeRO New Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Funny enough we had another incident with the Caipirinha much like you describe.  We took off from a clearing and lost signal right away.  Ended up with the plane upside down with some damage.