S800 EVO Waypoints, Geotagging and 3D Modelling

Discussion in 'Drone Aerial Videos and Photographs' started by Jonathan, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    In this video we test the DJI ground station and a geotagger to fly autonomously and create a 3D computer model of a haystack!

2. holyforehead

holyforehead New Member

Aug 31, 2013
    Wow that's really awesome! Sounds like it was quite windy as well so I was quite surprised at how stable the platform was!
    Will you be attempting more flights like this, perhaps to try and map a disused building or something?

3. pligo

pligo New Member

Oct 29, 2013
    This technology is awesome! I can't believe how fast it's progressing

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Yes, it is brilliant technology. I just did a job recently for a brewery where they used the photos in this way, which is why we thought of giving it a go ourselves. Will definitely be doing some more interesting buildings and landscapes. The only drawback is the software costs a small fortunes, in excess of £5000 in some cases!
    There was no wind at all when we first got there, but it got worse ad worse as it got towards evening. The S800 Evo copes really well with it though, as you can see.

I'm glad you both watched it and you were impressed with the tech, I was beginning to wonder if it was just me that thinks it's cool.  8)

5. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    I did a sort of How To blog post in case anyone wants to give it a try: Here it is

6. Dava

Dava Active Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Male
    Walrus polisher.
    someone else has done a similar blog post http://agmapsonline.com/?p=713 all interesting stuff.  8)

7. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Yeah, it's similar technology and ideas. I haven't tried actual mapping yet, but I am thinking of giving it a go in the Lake District or Yorkshire Dales with my EasyStar II or the TBS plane from the other thread. The plane the other guy is using, the Finwing Penguin, is very good I hear. I've been meaning to try one for ages.

8. wmnegreiros

wmnegreiros New Member

Jan 3, 2015
    Hi Jonathan,

How you extract GPS data? From IOSD or PC Ground Station data log?

9. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    The DJI OSD data isn't useful, you need a separate data logger then a program to combine the GPS data with thr images afterwards. Or use a camera that geotags images for you, like the Nikon D5300.