Polaroid Drones

Discussion in 'Drone Minds Blogs' started by Jonathan, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    That's right, Polaroid, the very long-standing camera company, has released 3 new varieties of its toy-grade camera drones.

1. The PL2900 has a 720p "HD" video camera that streams stabilized footage to your phone via an Android or Iphone app. Flight times are about 10 minutes, with flight speeds up to 16mph, and control distance is stated at an enthusiastic 1000 feet, beyond which it performs an emergency landing. It also features altitude hold and the ubiquitous "headless mode" and the equally widespread, notoriously unlikely, return to home feature. Price ~ $300
    polaroid-pl2900-drone.jpg

2. The PL3000 has the same features as the PL2900, only in a smaller body and lower price at ~$250.
    polaroid-pl300-camera-drone.jpg

3. The PL1300 is a mini quad style drone, with a 480p video camera, six minutes of flying time, which is about typical for this style of toy drones, though it is said to fly up to 20mph. Oh, and it only costs ~ $50! However, there is no other information about this one yet.

The strange thing about Polaroid is that the company declared bankruptcy not all that long ago, but managed to stay trundling along because of its many patents and license with other companies, so it is likely a third party company is manufacturing these little drones, but using the widely recognized Polaroid name and colored stripes, which I have to admit does look pretty cool, to instill more confidence in sales.

The drones are set to be available as of today, October 7 2017.

Eva likes this.
  2. Dava

Dava Active Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Male
    Walrus polisher.
    Pfft you would think a camera company could do better? :)

3. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one to try, but it does seem a bit expensive - though they are cheaper than what I wrote above now.