Hello, new to the world of drones

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Intros' started by SteCarey, Jan 21, 2016.

1. SteCarey

SteCarey New Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Male
    hello all, someone from reddit sent me here, so if you dont mind ill copy the same question i posted there to here

im new to the whole drone thing but ive started to look into it and i have a few questions and i was wondering if either anyone here would be able to help me or send me somewhere to get some answers

ive read alot of the CAA rules and regs, but 90% of it seems like Latin to me.

so im booked onto a CAA aproved training course (Commercial Drone Training, a residential course in which they do all the tests and operation manual writing workshops) but i was just wondering if anyone can give me some helpful tips for control of a drone, im currently using a £90 Maplins N43DS camera drone, its very basic but its helping me get to grips with basic controls and maneuvers.

but i was hoping someone could give me some helps on stuff to research to give me a helping hand/edge for when it comes to this course as theory tests are never really my forte. and/or some helpful control techniques

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    Hi, who is the course with? I didn't know there were any residential courses. Anyway, the theory part shouldn't be that bad, it's not there to try and catch you out. You typically spend a day/day and a half learning about various regulations and a bit of basic aviation map reading, then do a test based on what you've been told. It's actually quite interesting really. If you can afford it you'd be much better off getting a dji phantom 3 to fly with and do your test with.

3. SteCarey

SteCarey New Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Male
    yeah currently im VERY limited in price for a drone, ive been doing some research and it does seem like the DJIs seem to be the drone of choice for most people, the course it with Commercial Drone Training, based down in devon way i believe slightly cheaper than most of the courses ive looked at and it also allows you to do 3 or 5 days, the price is the same for either of them, but if you choose to do the extra 2 days you get more flight training and experience,

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    I see, sounds ok. I am wondering why you're doing the training though? I mean you certainly don't need to for legal reasons, unless you're wanting to earn money from flying your drone? Then, if you are, it's a pretty expensive profession to get into if you want to make something out of it. A Phantom 3 would be the least of your costs probably, and you most likely want something more expensive than that before too long. Then you need insurance, which may be around 600 quid a year, and you have to renew your CAA permission every year, which isn't that expensive at about 90 quid.
    Not trying to put you off, if it's what you want to do you should go for it, and I don't mind helping you so no worries there. Where are you based by the way?

5. SteCarey

SteCarey New Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Male
    sorry for the late reply, im based in Nottingham. i know the whole premise of having to renew every year etc.
    but yeah im not looking into as a hobby (as much fun as it is!) but more for work based, my folks got me into it as they recently hired someone one a pretty sizable wage and just came in like YOU NEED TO LOOK INTO THIS! and now yeah.. im loving it!

6. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Ok, cool. Nottingham isn't so far from us. There's also someone on here from the Sheffield area, @lotusteve I think, so there could be opportunities to meet people to get some practice in and try out some different drones? We're going to London next week to visit Skytech, a commercial drone expo. Tickets are free, or you can pay money to get access to seminars. If you can get there for one of the days you should find it interesting and useful.