FPV Action Cameras

Discussion in 'General Drone Forums' started by Jim Sallis, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Jim Sallis

Jim Sallis New Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Male
    Dear all,
    Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the best 'low cost' alternatives to go-pros for mounting to a drone? Ideally with Wi-fi/FPV capability. Would use in conjuction with a Gimbal (Walkera 2D or similar). What ranges can I expect for the FPV and how do I extend this if needed??
    Many thanks,
    Jim

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    It doesn’t need WiFi, just a live video out that you link up to a video transmitter. You can extend the range lots of ways, increasing the power of the video transmitter, increasing the power of the video receiver, trying different antennas types on the transmitter and receiver, trying different frequencies for the video transmitter/receiver. How far do you want it to go?

3. Jim Sallis

Jim Sallis New Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Male
    Evening Jonathan, sounds good. I'm experimenting with an MJX Bugs 3 which has arange of 300m or so. Ideally the video link needs to be the same?
    Cheers,
    Jim

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    The distance isn't a problem. If you just wanted to use an FPV camera with built in video transmitter like this guy it should easily transmit video at that distance:

The MJX Bugs 3 might struggle to carry a Gopro or gopro copy/clone though? Maybe a Keychain camera and video transmitter would be possible? This guy's setup might work?:

I've used the same video transmitters before with FPV screens and Fatshark video googles, can easily fly 1000+ meters away.

5. Jim Sallis

Jim Sallis New Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Male
    Looks great. There are lots of videos on the net where walkeras etc have been added successfully though. The brushless motors seem to have plenty of lift. This ones quite good:

This is along the lines i was thinking.

6. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    That’s cool, got a bit more power than I thought then. I just won’t fly as long with a heavier camera. Have you seen the SJCAM SJ4000/6000? That should work with a video transmitter, if you get a cable to connect it up like this one:

https://m.banggood.com/SJ4000-SJ600...MIm5jF0qr72AIVV8YbCh1JHgD1EAQYASABEgKLTPD_BwE

and the video transmitter the keychain guy is using, then you just need goggles or fpv screen receiver.