A PCB for a Drone

Discussion in 'Drone Beginners Corner' started by foodfighter, Jul 27, 2016.

1. foodfighter

foodfighter New Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Female
    I'm making a drone, and would love if somebody can review my work on the PCB layout.

Image (red is top, blue is bottom, circles indicate holes and side transfers purple is glue):

[​IMG]

What is supposed to happen:

Input from the radios is PWMs 1-6, which is an RF receiver putting in the raw values of the control sticks.

The board is supposed to be able to be programmed via the ICE 10 component.

The MCU is going to be able to take input from the BMI055 (accelerometer) and GPS and validly parse that.

The Li-po inputs are for reading batteries, each wire (besides the first) is a cell.

The aux components are of no concern now.

PWMs 7-12 are the output, and go to a bunch of ESCs, which control the motors.

I feel I'm missing a bunch of passives; the PCB doesn't look like any other I've seen (in the fact that it only has a few resistors and 3 capacitors with advanced components).

Component reference:

GPS: RXM-GPS-R4

MC1: AC32UC3

U2 and U3: Crystals

U1, AUX1, AUX2, all PWMs, U13, and U14: Connectors

REG1: LD1117 (3.3V 800mA)

ACL1: BMI055 3-axis accelerometer

USB: Type B jack

ANT1: GPS antenna

TANTCAP: 33uF tantalum capacitor

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    You mean you're making your own flight controller?

3. NealXu

NealXu New Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Male
    #3 NealXu, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the underside of the module has traces and vias that could short or couple to traces on the product’s circuit board. Make sure there is no top layer PCB copper underneath the module. I would imagine that ground planes on other layers are fine since they are naturally insulated from the top layer. Try not to route any signal/clock lines on any layer directly underneath the module. Keep "noisy circuitry" that doesn't need to connect to it as far away as possible.

buried vias pcb

Jonathan likes this.