3dr Solo

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Intros' started by Funkadelicro, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Funkadelicro

Funkadelicro New Member

May 25, 2016
    Male
    Hi, is it possible to change the camera from a GoPro to another action cam. I'm finidng the footage on the GoPro and bit jittery. I have an Olfi and a TomTom Bandit

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    Which Gopro is it? Have you tried different settings? What do you mean by jittery? Do you have an example on youtube?

3. Funkadelicro

Funkadelicro New Member

May 25, 2016
    Male
    I'm just uploading one to YouTube. How are you Jonathan? Been to Interserve much lately?

4. Funkadelicro

Funkadelicro New Member

May 25, 2016
    Male

It's a GoPro Hero 3 Silver. I would like to attach the Olfi as that has HDR and also the TomTom Bandit because that's a better camera and has GPS sensors etc.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Do they have live video out?
    P.S. Just realised who you are, hello. :)

6. Funkadelicro

Funkadelicro New Member

May 25, 2016
    Male
    Hi. There is video streaming from the camera to the tablet via the app, yes. The Olfi is a new camera so their app and other software is in its infancy. The TomTom has a full on remote viewing app and editing software.

7. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    I don't think it will work very if it only transmits video to a smartphone/tablet. The range would not be very good. If there is a live video out via cable you might be able to adapt it to use a video transmitter, even the one the Solo uses?

8. Funkadelicro

Funkadelicro New Member

May 25, 2016
    Male
    Hi, yeah the video is transmitted via 3DR Solo's own app if that makes sense. The gimbal is made to fit the GoPro and attaching other cameras isn't so straight forward.

9. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    No, the Solo screen just displays the video feed, it will be sent from the drone to the screen by a video transmitter. The other cameras you mentioned transmit the video to your phone or tablet via a wifi signal, which will not travel very far. Besides, the gimbal will be balanced for the Gopro and may not work properly with other cameras, even if you could get the video signal to work, unless they are a similar shape and weight?

10. Funkadelicro

Funkadelicro New Member

May 25, 2016
    Male
    Hi. Thanks for that. The Olfi is very similar to the GoPro in shape and size, the TomTom is not. I guess I stick with the GoPro and check the wifi range of the others.

11. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    What settings are you using on your Gopro?

12. Funkadelicro

Funkadelicro New Member

May 25, 2016
    Male
    I think it's on 4k at 15 or 30 fps and I've turned on what they call "protune"

13. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    I don't think the Silver does 4k, it does 2.7k. I think it's best at 1080p 50/60fps. Protune is only good if you have software to color grade it afterwards, otherwise it looks crap.

14. Funkadelicro

Funkadelicro New Member

May 25, 2016
    Male
    Ok thanks. I guess I will stick with the GoPro and use the others for filming other stuff.

15. P13

P13 New Member

Sep 14, 2015
    This isn't entirely the fault of the GoPro, I suspect that your props aren't balanced and given the level of vibration you have I don't think the gimbal install is correct either, there's some tention on the HDMI cable I bet which is passing vibration from the Solo's frame to the gimbal.

Most Solo owners use a Hero 4 Black at 2.7K, medium (wide if using a replacement lens), at 50 FPS (EU or 60 FPS US) and Protune is used by most people as it gives a far wider dynamic range.

Most Solo owners hang out on FB or 3DR Pilots, I'm sure you'll find some help:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/3DRSOLO
    http://www.3drpilots.com/

You can also fix vibration in post using Prodrenalin which is fairly cheap to buy, but I'd try and get the best from the hardware first.

16. Funkadelicro

Funkadelicro New Member

May 25, 2016
    Male
    Actually, there is some smoother videos I took using the Silver. Thanks for all your help though Jonathan. Have you been to Rotherham lately?

17. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Not for a while, think we're going on Wednesday?