Inspire 1 Error Message: Critically Low Voltage!

Discussion in 'DJI Drones' started by Mystery.Shadow, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Mystery.Shadow

Mystery.Shadow Active Member

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    Was going to fly today with a 93% Charged Battery.
    About 45 seconds into the flight I got a "Critically Low Voltage" warning and the Inspire went into it's Auto-Descent procedure.

Fortunately, I was very close to a future football field and was able to safely land.
    But what if I were nowhere near a clearing or over water?!

Has anyone else gotten these 'error' messages before?!

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    Only when it was my fault for flying too long, never quickly like that. My friend said the other day though that two of his dj i inspire batteries have totally died and won't charge up again.

3. Mystery.Shadow

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    Inspire 1 intelligent batteries DO have a lifespan, but you should be able to get 300+ charges off of it.
    This battery reports it has been charged 140 times. Gives no errors, and reports all cells are good.
    I have since, drained this battery and have recharged it. I'm gonna fly around tomorrow to see if I get any more errors.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    My friends batteries haven’t been used much at all though, 10 hours tops. He hadn’t used his inspire for 6 months, then found 2 batteries had died and wouldn’t charge at all. Anyway, intelligent or not, sometimes Lipo batteries die before their time.

5. Mystery.Shadow

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    Many things die before their time! Billy the Kid, Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Heath Ledger, Jim Morrison, even Tutankhamun!

Did a flight checking on my new metal roof after the roofers finished up. No issues today, not a one! I hovered the Inspire after recording to drain the battery all the way down. I learned that if you keep the drone "ascending" the entire time it auto-lands you can maintain altitude and even gain altitude! So there is some control while it's trying to land. After the battery goes down below 9% it tries to rapidly descend. I noticed the battery never goes below 6% I wonder if this is some sort of safety protocol built in, I timed the battery discharge and allowed the Inspire to land where it should have been 2%, even though it continuously reported 6%.

6. Mystery.Shadow

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    Did this flight today, same battery, but this time with NO problems!

Not sure if "intelligent" batteries can hold a memory, but after discharging completely and recharging, she seemed good to go!

7. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    That's good, though maybe a bit confusing for you as well? I wonder what the problem was in the first place?

8. Mystery.Shadow

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    Not really sure. Maybe it's a new "feature" from the latest DJI Update?!