What you use to edit videos?

Discussion in 'Drone Apps and Related Software' started by Ragnarok, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Member

Jul 28, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Wondering what people use to edit their drone videos? Or if you just upload to Youtube off the camera?

DaveINNH likes this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    I'm using Adobe Premiere now, have done for the last couple of years. It's a bit expensive though if you're only doing it as a hobby.

Before that I used to use Cyberlink Power Director 10, though that's upto iteration 13 now. Cost more than when I last used it, but it's much more affordable than Permiere and not that bad at all. I see a lot of popular youtube users using it.

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/director-suite/

Both of above have a free trial.

Or you could try Windows Movie Maker http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/movie-maker - haven't tried that in years, so no idea what you can do with it? Can't be worse than just uploading raw video straight off the camera though. :)

DaveINNH likes this.
  3. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Member

Jul 28, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Thank you for the information.

4. Dava

Dava Active Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Male
    Walrus polisher.
    There's also Final Cut Pro if you're a Mac guy.

5. watertowers

watertowers New Member

May 15, 2015
    Gopro Studio, Microsoft movie maker, anything that's free, hate paying for software and as an amateur it doesn't really bother me to much

6. Dronelover

Dronelover New Member

Oct 6, 2015
    if you want to use adobe premiere this video shows you some tricks you could use, forward to 1:00 to skip the boring intro JElMDB8WBSE

7. lotusteve

lotusteve Member

Oct 28, 2015
    Male
    sheffield
    I have Microsoft movie maker(free and its not bad)

8. dronehdtv

dronehdtv Active Member

me too it works quick and fast.. but for work I use premium software

9. DaveINNH

DaveINNH New Member

Nov 22, 2015
    Male
    Web Developer
    New Hampshire, USA
    I use Premier Elements. I don't mind paying for software, though it does rub me the wrong way that they charge me so much for updates. I recently tried out Premier Pro, but it was way more horse power than I need.

DukeM likes this.
  10. DukeM

DukeM Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Male
    Koln
    Didn't know there was a premiere elements. I will have a look at that, thank you.

11. Jack Hodgins

Jack Hodgins New Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Male
    Full Time YouTuber
    Camberley Surrey
    I started using iMovie on the iMac but when it come to using 4K footage then you have to upgrade to Final Cut Pro X which cost around the £200 mark then you able to do anything creative and i love the idea you can buy and download plugins which make editing video fast and easy to use, i do not want to think about creating something like a title or effect as it much work involved, easy to find it already built for you and easy to add the plugin.

Final Cut Pro X is as easy as drop your video clips in, cut out the crap you don't need, lol drop in the sound track, drop in titles and your video ready to go, i don't like the idea of spending hours on the editing. I find Final Cut Pro make me editing so much faster and i have played around the PC editing packages and it just to much hard work compare to FCPX.

12. lotusteve

lotusteve Member

Oct 28, 2015
    Male
    sheffield
    i use the Windows Movie Maker. very easy to use and does a good job if you want something free.

13. Websiteauthor

Websiteauthor New Member

Dec 17, 2015
    Male
    I've used Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 for the past year and it's worked very well for me. I got a bundle of software from Cyberlink on a Black Friday sale but haven't installed it yet.

14. Vmaxcec

Vmaxcec New Member

Dec 24, 2015
    Male
    Crowborough
    im looking for editing software so I can save in 4K.. to play on 4k tv and maybe for youtube... but 1080p seems to be ok for youtube.. I use live movie maker and trakax for 1080p rendering.. basically I just want simple software to save 4k..
    don't really want professional type software as im just a hobbiest etc.
    Any suggestions?

Dave

15. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Hi Dave. The latest version of Adobe Premiere Elements supports 4k exports, and isn't hugely expensive.

16. Vmaxcec

Vmaxcec New Member

Dec 24, 2015
    Male
    Crowborough
    Thanks Jonathon.. ill have a look on amazon in the sales

Dave

17. Vmaxcec

Vmaxcec New Member

Dec 24, 2015
    Male
    Crowborough
    The adobe elements looks good,, ive also seen NERO Video Premium 2.. it says it renders in 4k.. its half the price of adobe.. but how good it is? hmmm
    anyone know this software?

18. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    I know NERO the company. I'm guessing it's not that good. You could have a look at Cyberlink Powerdirector, that's quite popular.

19. Photoworx

Photoworx Guest

I am using Adobe Premiere CC and have signed up for the Monthly use agreement. I have found this to work for me on the learning curve. It is a complicated and detailed, professional software. I like the features and the ability to expand what I am doing as I learn more about both Flight and Video editing. I used a software called Filmora at first and tried Paint Shop Pro's video editing software and neither offered a quality export CODEC. It seems the Codec is one of the most important factors in your Export. Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect. But I have found that using the correct Codec and Export Size for the footage you are editing will produce a much higher quality of export. The Quad I fly shoots 4K video and can be set at different capture sizes. I always use the 4k size and reduce from there in editing. Some of my latest videos are edited in Adobe but many are in Filmora and are at a lower quality because of the size and codec used.

Now, remember, you can have a great editing software but if you do not have the correct Computer system to drive that software it will be useless. I recommend the following:

Windows 7/8
    Intel Core I7 4790 Processor,3.6 GHz
    16 gig DDR 3 RAM
    1 TB HD-internal - I use external HD's
    Nvidia GFORCE Graphics Card with 2 gig dedicated memory
    450 watt power supply
    2 - 3.0 USB ports - MIN

You'll need a good quality Motherboard that works with it all. If you want 4k viewing a 4 k monitor will be needed and is very expensive right now, but most people do not have the ability to view 4k. This is a very detailed and complicated discussion and some people may get by with less, but if you are serious about capturing and editing quality images and video, I recommend investing into a good, powerful computer to work with the footage. All the Drone/Quad companies are selling these units with little or no education on the after work and Minimum requirements to edit your footage. Luckily we have this site to help inform and educate each other on the in's and out's of this awesome Hobby/Sport/Business. If I am incorrect in any of my statements here, please help me understand more clearly.

James T and Sara like this.
  20. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Great post, lots of detail in there. I just got my hands on a copy of DaVinci Resolve 12 Studio, so will give that a try soon. Apparantly it's come a long way since last time I tried it, making it into a fully fledged NLE (non-linear editing system) rather than just a great color-grading tool. Still, now the latest PP has integrated color grading tools it's got a lot to go up against. I can't see DaVinci Resolve 12 Studio being better than PP CC, but if it was I could reduce the CC monthly fee somewhat.