Yuneec Typhoon Q500+ Unboxing, Maiden Flight and more!

Discussion in 'Yuneec Drones' started by Jonathan, May 14, 2015.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    I received my Yuneec Typhoon Q500+ this week and must confess I'm falling in love with it!
    Here is the unboxing video I did on Tuesday:

And here is my maiden flight from yesterday, with a running commentary and what I think of the Q500+.

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Here is my second flight, loving it! :)

3. Snapography

Snapography New Member

May 14, 2015
    Thanks Jonathan. First of all apologies for bombarding you with q's on YouTube. I've been waiting a long time for someone to package all the tech into an affordable product for aerial photography so was very excited when I saw your first posting. I had a dji flame wheel which I sold a couple of years ago because I was spending far more time on the work bench just to keep it going ( bad pilot lol ) than I could spare.

To be honest I'm a bit dubious about wifi and not sure why they have gone that route. I guess it's to do with hooking up to android screen and smartphones etc. For me it might be too much of a compromise and it's not what wifi is designed for.

While the 300+ range is probably going to be ok I don't really want to be worrying about it. I live on the north devon coast so even one cock up ( either technical or more likely user error ) could result in a total loss and £1000+ of my hard earned at the bottom of the Bristol Channel.

The mod looks ok but that's what I was trying to get away from. Besides I suspect it might harm the resale value. Not really sure whether to go for it or not. Have you seen the 3dr Solo? It looks like another contender for next gen multi rotars. Unfortunately they are going the dji route of some things being extra (go pro, gimbal, screen). That's where yuneec really hit a home run, all in, even a case, extra lipo and hand held gimbal.

I will probably wait anyway for the 4K to arrive. It also has an improved prop profile. I think I prefer the dark colour although I'm wondering how that might affect the 4K camera, temperature wise.

If you are ever in this part of the world let me know. The scenery is spectacular! We have been in touch before ( a few years ago under a different you tube account ) I fitted some extra leds to my quad which you recommended.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Cheers
    Rory

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Totally sick of seeing Gopro platforms, they're old hat and yesterday's news as far as I'm concerned. The Yuneec controller has an Android tablet built into it, which is the screen you see and why it uses wifi. It does mean they'll be able to add all kinds of nifty settings in the future though, some of which are said to be appearing at the beginning of June. I will be excited to see those.

5. Snapography

Snapography New Member

May 14, 2015
    I think I have discovered a design flaw.

The white and black livery makes it vulnerable to seagull attack! :)

lvOE4NsEtTM

(gave up trying to figure how the youtube embed button works :)

6. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Re: Yuneec Typhoon Q500+ Seagull Attack!

Cool, though I think some of them attack anyway no matter what the colour. :)

P.S. You highlight the Youtube address thenn press the Youtube button, or type
    Code:
    [MEDIA=youtube]address-here[/MEDIA]
    , but make sure to remove the s from https. I might look into that to make it work with or without the s actually, it's a bit of a pain.