Welcome to the Drone Minds Forums

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Intros' started by Jonathan, Jul 17, 2015.

1. DroneBeasting702

DroneBeasting702 New Member

Nov 24, 2016
    Hello everyone, my name is John. New to the forum. Thanks for having me :)

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

I've been flying drones for about 4 years now. I live in Las Vegas, so I've gotten some pretty solid footage over the years. Just looking for a community to ask questions and answer if needed. Always happy to help :)

Cheers,
    John

UbiBird likes this.
  2. dsmavis

dsmavis New Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Male
    Lead Embedded Software Engineer
    McDonough, Georgia, USA
    Hello everyone. My name is Dean, and I live outside of Atlanta, Georgia, USA. I just recently came across this forum and decided to add myself to the mix here.

I have been flying multi-rotors for about 3 years now. Please forgive me, I still don't really like to use the word "drone". I would much rather use the word quadcopter, hexacopter, multi-rotor... etc. Here in the USA, the word "drone" really seems to have developed into a fear-mongering word that the media loves to use to get the public all upset and concerned about these UAVs "invading their skies". So, I tend to shy away from the word "drone" in favor of my other choices.

Anyway, yes... flying multi-rotors for around 3 years, starting out with a store-bought Syma X1, and a couple of Estes Proto X's (tiny). My real pride and joy however are home two home-built ships. I have a completely home-built quadcopter that measures approximately 450 mm between motors, and most recently I have designed and built (from the ground up) a hexacopter that measures approximately 480 mm motor-to-motor across the center hub. Both vehicles frames are built from wood (poplar) and plexiglass. Flying weight for each of them (depending on how I configure them) is between 4 and 5 pounds. They both fly using Aeroquad flight controllers (Aeroquad.com -- which is an open-source hardware/software platform.) I fly predominately 3rd-person view (looking at the craft), and enjoy getting high def videos and photos above and around different scenery, but I also have on-board live video capabilities and some Fatshark goggles for flying FPV. I am currently not (yet) involved in any FPV racing, though I may eventually get my feet wet in that world to some degree.

I am also a long time R/C modeler... I have been building and flying R/C airplanes for over 30 years, along with R/C boats, and land-vehicles. I am also a licensed Private Pilot (Full-scale pilot) since 1987. Additionally I have held an Amateur Radio license (General Class) for approximately 40 years.

I have an Electrical Engineering degree from Penn State University (1985), and my entire working career has been as an Embedded Software Engineer writing software (predominately in "C" and Assembly languages) to control various electronic components ranging from Avionics (aircraft instruments) to Industrial Control and Sensor systems, to various devices in the Lighting Industry.

I enjoy just about everything R/C, and I very much enjoy tinkering with Arduino processors and The Internet of Things (IoT) devices.

I have a collection of aerial videos that I have posted on YouTube and you can find them here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiisOSthhYUNfE5X_lfhNuishLy5DJ8kj

Some of the videos are quite raw and un-stabilized, while others are more edited, stabilized and put to music. On my home-built hexacopter I now carry a 2-axis brushless gimbal for my GoPro so the videos are much more stabile than any software stabilizer could produce.

Anyway, that's a bit about me. I hope to spend more time going forward reading up on this site. I always welcome the opportunity to learn more about the hobby and above all I try to fly with safety in mind. My goal while flying is to never end up on the 11:00 news!

Fly SAFELY everybody.

And all my best to those on this site.

--Dean

UbiBird likes this.
  3. Jason Gray

Jason Gray New Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Male
    Georgia
    Hello Everyone,
    Myself Jason Gray. I am a new comer for this community. I just want to interact with you guys and shared my valuable experience with you and also want to hear your interesting story with you.
    Thanks,
    Jason Gray

UbiBird likes this.
  4. Saket

Saket New Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Male
    Hello Everyone ,
    My name is Saket. I am Aerospace engineer , currently pursuing my masters in the same. I have recently shifted my focus towards Vision based navigation and optical flow techniques for UAV's. I am very new to this type of work and need some expert advice and tips on image stitching and geotagging . etc. Looking forward to interacting with you fine ppl.

Thank You
    Saket

UbiBird likes this.
  5. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    Hello again, your masters sounds very cool, I'm jealous :)

6. TonyHarmsworth

TonyHarmsworth New Member

Dec 29, 2016
    Male
    Hi, thanks for the welcome. Received drone for Xmas and will have questions eventually.

I live in the Scottish Highlands - see my facebook facebook.com/lochnesstony

I am an author. You can read my science fiction novels on this Wattpad link. I also have non fiction books on Wattpad including Scotland's Bloody History and Loch Ness Monster Explained. Wattpad is free to join then you read free.

So far I am having trouble trimming my N43DS to hover. Too windy outside so caging it under a table.

Best,

Tony

7. Saket

Saket New Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Male
    Thanks a lot sir. I had one small question, if you dont mind.
    I have a bunch of photos from our latest flight test, and im trying to perform an image stitch. I also have GPS data for those images in a .csv file. When i import the data , i select a WGS84 coordinate system . But i keep getting the message " Cant find match..." for which il have to create markers to proceed with the georeferencing. I cant figure out why this is happening, since most of the videos i have watched, the GPS coordinates and the cameras are synced automatically. I have also made sure the names on my workspace and the .csv file are the same. Any insights sir?

Btw, belated Merry Chritsmas and an advanced Happy new year.

Thank You
    Regards
    Saket

8. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Well, you have some amazing scenary up there, are you going to get a better drone?

9. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    do you mean you are collecting gps data on a separate gps logger, then trying to sync it with the photo? hav e you set the time the same on the gps logger and the camera?

10. Outenga

Outenga New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Male
    Hello everyone. This is Lachit. Thanks for having me here. To drones for search operations :)

11. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Hello again, sounds cool. :)

12. breaden

breaden New Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Male
    Hello,
    I am new here in this forum and I hope you will cooperate with me.

13. josh tyvan

josh tyvan New Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Male
    Hey guys, new to the group as well.

Here is a link to my latest finished project shot with an Inspire 1 X5R.

Alex Schootz likes this.
  14. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Really nice. Beautiful scenery and I like the sound effects.

15. kabeeo

kabeeo New Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Male
    Hi. Kevin here. I live on Long Island and am new to drones and looking to learn and get better. Here is a link to my latest Youtube upload:

Comments welcome.

Thanks

Dan and Jonathan like this.
  16. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    That's cool, there's a member here from Brooklyn I think? At least all his videos are there anyways

17. TishawnFahie

TishawnFahie New Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Male
    #157 TishawnFahie, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Hello everyone. My name is Tishawn Fahie, I'm from Brooklyn. I've been flying for about 4 years now. I have my part 107 cert under my belt and have been doing commercial work for my job.

Recently I've been creating footage of random things from riding my unicycle to creating shorts of something, just to then spend some time color grading later on to then post it on youtube. It's good to see there is a community of us out here to share tips, that enables us to learn from one another.

Check out one of my videos when you guys can. Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

18. TishawnFahie

TishawnFahie New Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Male
    Hey man i'm from Drone Minds.. Beautiful footage and the music goes well with the video. 2 tips I would say - add some more color, bump up the brightness a tad bit and add more color. Next adjust your gimbal speeds your turns are a bit much. Other wise I enjoyed your video! Thanks for sharing. You have a new subscriber! Check out my last video when you have a chance.

19. TishawnFahie

TishawnFahie New Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Male
    This is beautiful wow! Good stuff man!

20. vincecraft

vincecraft New Member

Hi guys, my name is Vince and I am an FPV pilot from the west coast US!

Jonathan likes this.