Skiing with a drone

Discussion in 'DJI Drones' started by BenBshaw, Jan 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BenBshaw

BenBshaw New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Okay guys heres the what's going on. I'm looking to rent a drone off Fat Lama, people are renting out a variety of drones. Theres the Mavric Pro, the phantom 4, the inspire 1 v2 and a few of the parrot drones. I've used the phantom 4 before, its epic. But i've never used it skiing. Are any of these drones able to follow you, so when I'm skiing down the slopes I want to able to ski down and have the drone film me from behind as its chasing me down the mountain. Can any of them do this? Any thoughts would be awesome. Only using it for a week in Feb hence i'm not buying. Any recommendations would be awesome.

Aslo, what are the regulations when skiing. I was told that some ski resorts don't let you take drones up the mountain. What about if its quite remote? Off-piste?

Cheers, Ben.

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    You aren't supposed to fly over people or near people who aren't with you, so probably best off piste somewhere quiet. However most of the drones that follow you can't track you downhill by themselves at the moment, you need to adjust the altitude as you go, which will be difficult to do by yourself if you're skiing.

BenBshaw likes this.
  3. BenBshaw

BenBshaw New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Hi Jonathan. Thank you so much for getting in touch. We are going to a v remote resort. I'm going with a group of friends so, can I set a setting as described above but one of my friends still does control it and adjusts the altitude manually himself?

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Yes, that should work with the mavic or p4 (the others you need to carry the controller yourself). It will be better for the active tracking if you wear something contrasting against the snow. I.e. don't wear white.Something unnatural like day-glow orange will work well. You can see Sara's video from last year testing different objects with the active track function. It does pretty well following people actually, so long as you don't blend into the background.

5. BenBshaw

BenBshaw New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Sorry didn't get notifications for this. That is really useful, I did actually watch a video of someone skiing and filing themselves using a drone. You're exactly right, it mentioned bright colours as they showed someone wearing white and didn't work. Think i'm going to go for the mavic...thanks for advice and video

6. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Awesome, look forward to seeing your drone skiing results!

7. BenBshaw

BenBshaw New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    used active tracking on a mavic the other day, was only filming friend riding a bike but worked surprisingly well. Think gonna take a mavic and a dji, mavic up the mountain - dji for fun! Wish me luck!

8. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Brilliant, have fun!