Safe Flying and UK Regulations

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Intros' started by Jonathan, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    #1 Jonathan, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    Making this new thread to discuss safe flying and regulations in the UK, though they also apply elswhere, in particular not flying over people.

2. Vmaxcec

Vmaxcec New Member

Dec 24, 2015
    Male
    Crowborough
    #2 Vmaxcec, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2015
    I thought as long as you are above 50 metres and not over crowds, it was ok..

3. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    You need to be 50 meters away from people, which doesn't include being 50 meters above them - i.e. don't fly over anyone's head unless they are with you and agree to it.. Though, to be fair, the 50 metre part does always come up in questions when you do training to do aerial photography for money, people always ask if it's ok to be 50 meters above someone. Anyway, not trying to be the drone police or anything, just don't want you to get into trouble.

4. Vmaxcec

Vmaxcec New Member

Dec 24, 2015
    Male
    Crowborough
    much appreciated Jonathan. but surely, 50 metres above, is enough.. most people don't look above 50M straight up... the regs say 50M from people... whether that is above, beside etc...

5. Vmaxcec

Vmaxcec New Member

Dec 24, 2015
    Male
    Crowborough

this is what I understand from UK legal requirements
    The aircraft must not be flown:

• over or within 150 metres of any congested area
    • over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;
    • within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft
    • within 50 metres of any person except during take-off or landing, the aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person except for the person in charge of the aircraft.

Ragnarok likes this.
  6. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Member

Jul 28, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    #6 Ragnarok, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    I think Jonathan is right. It is the same here in Netherlands, only our rules are even worse where we can't even fly in most parks at all. There are videos online that really make you eek! It only if something goes wrong and someone gets hit that people will point their finger.
    Vmaxcec, I think you should be praised for knowing about the rules. Most new pilots don't know anything about them, hense the eeks! :)

7. Vmaxcec

Vmaxcec New Member

Dec 24, 2015
    Male
    Crowborough
    Oh I see.. ill take that into consideration in the future... thanks

Jonathan likes this.
  8. Vmaxcec

Vmaxcec New Member

Dec 24, 2015
    Male
    Crowborough
    Not wanting to pick.. but on some of Sara`s videos on youtube, she flies over houses and people etc... ie the beach vid, the one in Yorkshire over a small villiage...lol... this is where I got 50m above idea from...

Dave :)

9. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    #9 Jonathan, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    Well, we try not to fly over people, or use tricks if we need to - and sometimes people in the shots are actually with us. In the Robin Hoods Bay video it's all shot in 4K, but zoomed in and exported at 1080p so the people sat in the pub balcony thing look a lot closer than they actually are. Or there's some places, like in Cambridge city centre, where we didn't fly at all but put the Phantom on top of a pole attached to a dolly/trolly and pushed it down the street.
    Still, we're not perfect 100% I'm sure, but we do try and be as safe as possible. :)

10. Vmaxcec

Vmaxcec New Member

Dec 24, 2015
    Male
    Crowborough
    #10 Vmaxcec, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2015
    Ive just watched your vid about using 4k then render in 1080p.. interesting... so I understand now about the zooming effect...

Dave

Jonathan likes this.