P3 pro over Denmark...

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Intros' started by Morten K, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Morten K

Morten K New Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Male
    I have just started flying drones and have bought the Phantom 3 Pro. Great drone I think :) My plan is to use it in my company, working with citizen involvement in Denmark.

I have a challenge that someone here might be able to help me to solve: I need to register a large area ( 2 km2) with drone ( like Phantom 3 Prof. but otherwise another more flexible drone ) The area is densely vegetated 3-5 meters over ground level. My job is to get an accurate model of the terrain with an accuracy of +/- 5 mm . Do anyone have an idea of what technology I should use ? I myself are looking into a komination of radar , GPS with base-station and laser . But maybe some of you have another angle? I will be thrilled hearing from you :)

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    Just the P3 alone could cover the area, but won't be accurate to 5mm. That's quite a big task for most setups. You can correct your model in software with the aid of Ground Control Points, which are locations that you take accurate readings from, usually with an RTK (Real Time Kenetic) GPS device. The GCP locations need to be visible in your aerial photographs, usually the corner of a building or road, or an actual mark or object you place yourself.
    There are other options like LIDAR with other systems, and there's even work being done on a flying RTK GPS systems like Piksi.

Morten K likes this.