P3 Flying Over Flooded York River Ouse

Discussion in 'DJI Drones' started by Sara, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Sara

Sara Drone Minds Presenter/Pilot

Sep 9, 2015
    Female
    York, UK
    The river in York (uk) floods a few times each year so I thought it would be interesting to film it this time. It's normally busy by the river, but there's nowhere to walk and no cars nearby when it's flooded, so it's nice and peaceful.

mixedinkey and Vmaxcec like this.
  2. Mystery.Shadow

Mystery.Shadow Active Member

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    Sara, you're a brave one, going under bridges! I've seen you take your UAVs under quite a few!
    Maybe you're just a better pilot than I am.

Jonathan likes this.
  3. Sam

Sam New Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Male
    Lake District
    Can I ask a question!! Is it safe going under bridges regarding the possibility of losing your signal to your drone ?

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    I've done it a lot. Never lost the control signal or the video signal with the Phantom 3. Both are 2.4ghz which is good for this sort of thing. If it was a different model with 5.8 ghz video there would be a greater chance of losing the signal. You can still play it safe though and position yourself so you can see the drone the whole time, so there's a direct line between the drone and the controller, then pop up quickly, once you're sure you're through and then some, if it's a brick bridge so it's only out of direct line of site with the controller for a fraction of a second. The main danger, I think, is crashing into the bridge if you're too nervous, not flying straight or panicing and overcorrecting etc.

5. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Member

Jul 28, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Wouldn't dare do it with my Q that is for certain.

6. SPD-FPV

SPD-FPV New Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Male
    Jonathan likes this.
  7. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    Great picture. The recent floods have been very dramatic.

8. Wow, great footage, amazing to see how bad the flooding actually was in York. Wish I had come down to see it and shot some footage of my own. Oh well, next time maybe, i'm sure it will flood again in the future unfortunately as it has done in the past.
    Great flying under the bridge btw and love the angle showing the curve of the bridge structure following the footpath.

9. Sara

Sara Drone Minds Presenter/Pilot

Sep 9, 2015
    Female
    York, UK
    Thank you, yes the floods were very bad for the community, but a great chance for photographers. This footage is actually from before the apocalyptic rain over Christmas..that was much worse. Will let you know if York floods again.