Keeping within the law

Discussion in 'Drone Beginners Corner' started by dazbobaby, Oct 20, 2015.

1. dazbobaby

dazbobaby New Member

Oct 19, 2015
    I see from a lot of the videos I've seen that everyone seems to break/bend the rules, or do you all have a CAA licence and permission of some sort?

How do you get special permission? Do you need a drone pilots licence? Would it help to have a model aircraft licence?

I'm just curious before I drop a load of cash on a phantom 3 and then get into trouble.
    [hr]
    BTW I'm testing the water with a sky Hawkeyes first.

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    I have a qualification and CAA licence, but you still should be following rules/guidlines. You don't need CAA permission if it's just for fun, a hobby with no valuable consideration in payment involved. There are still regulations, just some people don't know about them, or a few think they're worth breaking. Being a member of the bma, in UK, gives you some level of insurance, whixh is worth it.

3. dazbobaby

dazbobaby New Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Thanks Jonathan, how does being paid change things aside from the obvious public liability insurance?

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    You need CAA PFAW to fly for money, or any kind of valuable consideration. To get the CAA certificate you have to do training and pass a flight test, there are several options for this in the UK now, BNUC, RPQS, RUSTA and so on.