I tethered my drone to a battery on the ground.

Discussion in 'General Drone Forums' started by photojunky, Oct 17, 2017.

1. photojunky

photojunky Member

May 4, 2016
    Male
    It worked good. The drone was far more nimble and flight time could be endless, unfortunately I thought I had more wire so my distance was limited.

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    That’s a brilliant test, good version 1 experiment. Companies are charging a lot of money for tether stations. You should time how long it flies with the battery on the ground compared to the same battery attached to the drone maybe? You will lose some power as the cable gets longer because DC degrades more the further you try to send it. Still, that would be another cool test video I think, compare the flight times on the same battery with varying lengths of cable. Obviously the cable itself will be heavier also, but there is no weight limit to the power source as it’s on the ground.

3. photojunky

photojunky Member

May 4, 2016
    Male
    Thank you. I was kind of bummed out because I thought I had much more wire. I was probably thinking of my speaker wire which I have in abundance.

When I was editing the video I realized, voltage readings aren't really that important because if you are near a car or power source, the flight times could be endless. If you are not, you could put 10 batteries in a backpack and fly for a very long time.

4. skow1108

skow1108 New Member

Oct 16, 2017