I Just got my new Phantom 3 Standard this week!

Discussion in 'DJI Drones' started by toddsworld, Feb 12, 2016.

1. toddsworld

toddsworld New Member

Hello,

I just got a brand new Phantom 3 S and it has been windy everyday since :(

I'm hoping to get out this weekend in a large, cleared development...mostly farm lands, and take it as far as it will go.

Do any of you live in the USA have a good range that you have been getting with your P3S? What distance?

I purchased this antenna for possibly extending my range and stability: Blue Proton DJI Phantom 3 Standard WiFi Signal Range Extender Antenna Kit ARGtek

Does anyone have that antenna? and has it helped increase the distance to fly?

Here are a couple of boring movies I have of a couple of first flights just within my house/property, but like I said I am going to get out this weekend hopefully and really take it UP and OUT!

My First Preparation and Flight:

My First NIGHT Flight:

2. Sara

Sara Drone Minds Presenter/Pilot

Sep 9, 2015
    Female
    York, UK
    tried taking it any further over the weekend? how did it go? looks like your backyard is not the easiest place to practice with the pool etc. quite brave for the first flight:)

toddsworld likes this.
  3. toddsworld

toddsworld New Member

Well I had a great Valentines weekend. I got upgraded to the Phantom 3 ADVANCED from the Standard.

I got a little braver and took it out a lot further than my little test flights with the Phantom 3 Standard.

Take a look....

mixedinkey and Kenny NYC like this.
  4. Sara

Sara Drone Minds Presenter/Pilot

Sep 9, 2015
    Female
    York, UK
    oh yeah that looks great..what an amazing place to live and fly around. I can see you're getting a grasp of a smoother, slower camera tilt. I find it difficult sometimes to focus on the camera, flying is always a priority, so i often fly twice to think more about what is going to look best and have a look myself first. Have you tried any of the intelligent functions yet? point of interest is always a winner for me.
    Good news on the upgrade, no worries about the flying range now,right? (apart from the legal restrictions of course)

lotusteve and toddsworld like this.
  5. toddsworld

toddsworld New Member

Thank you Sara, yeah I'm getting better at controlling the camera movements at the same time as flying. I'm looking forward to testing out the intelligent functions, but I think I'll fly a couple more weekends until I get brave enough to try those stunts :)

Sara likes this.
  6. Kenny NYC

Kenny NYC Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Male
    OH man I want to upgrade to Advance too, but Im going hold off it.. I know the moment i upgrade to Advance, the Phantom 4 with Lightbridge v2 will come out :) . I have the standard version now, i modded the WifI antenna which can do like 2 miles or less.

toddsworld likes this.
  7. toddsworld

toddsworld New Member

I know how you feel. There's always another, better model that will come. But I didn't hesitate at the offer my Wife gave me :)

I already had purchased an ArgTek antenna as well as a tablet holder for the RC, so I'm gonna have to sell those on eBay, I guess.

I just didn't want to be restrained by the distance or connection.

I took my STANDARD version to 700 feet straight view (with in line of sight) and started to show weak signal and flashing loosing signal and I didn't like that when they advertise up to 3300 feet distance for that model.

I'm glad to hear that you're getting 2 miles with yours :) FANTASTIC!

8. lotusteve

lotusteve Member

Oct 28, 2015
    Male
    sheffield
    i have a mate who i go flying with and he bought a standard, but for some reson he could not get any where near the stated distance in the specs, he was only getting around 30meters before he was getting the weak signal.. i advised him to take it back to the shop and try and exchange it for the advanced which he did, now he is so happy with the range and the performance over the standard. he has a lot more confidence when flying now.

toddsworld likes this.
  9. Jack Hodgins

Jack Hodgins New Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Male
    Full Time YouTuber
    Camberley Surrey
    don't forget it all about line of sight when it come to the signal it will do the full 1000M if there no object in the way like building and trees, wf-fi is open really good with nothing in is way other the signal drop down as it passing through trees, building etc.

I bet if you fly straight up at 1000m the signal be sharp but not idea breaking laws lol