Help with Agisoft Photoscan

Discussion in 'Drone Aerial Videos and Photographs' started by GregorySukull, Sep 17, 2015.

1. GregorySukull

GregorySukull New Member

Sep 17, 2015
    I recently started using the DJI Phantom 3 Advanced for aerial surveying and I urgently need some help with the Agisoft Photoscan.

I took some images with the drone but the following happened when I tried to run them through Agisoft:

1.    All of the photos were not aligned and I was only able to get a partial image.
    2.    The final .tif image that was produced had alot of gaps and missing pieces.

I decided to try and align, separately, those photos that weren't aligned it worked but I still had some missing pieces. I really need some help with this software.

Additionally, I would like to know how I would be able to export the image created and superimpose it on google earth. I have been reading about GDAL tools and QGIS but I don't know how to factor these in.

Could you kindly help?!!!

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    All the photographs have to follow in order when you upload them, so that the second one has some of the first then the third one has some of the second and so on, all the way through. Try looking at all your pictures and put them in order, by renaming them if you have to, so there's always some of the last image in the next one. Or have you done that already?

3. GregorySukull

GregorySukull New Member

Sep 17, 2015
    I did all of that already, if you like I can send the image that I got after processing. I was looking at some videos on Youtube and they were telling me about exporting the image to an external software for additional processing. What i also did was to add markers to the photos at a common point. I don't know how useful this was but after processing the image came out a bit better but still missing chunks.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Sure, email me the images. I'll see what I think. Might have to wait till weekend though, doing aerial survey of a construction site all day tomorrow.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Ok, I got you pictures. I would say they don't overlap enough. For example I can't clearly to how 9 and 10 connect, and 13 and 14 only have a very tiny overlap and I can't see how 14 and 15 connect and so on. They need to overlap about 60% at least, some people say 80%. That is 60% of the last photograph needs to be in the next photograph, all the way though the sequence. You have the right idea, just need more pictures and closer together.

6. GregorySukull

GregorySukull New Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Thanks so much Jonathon. After looking at your video, I suspected that I did not have enough overlap. I needed to make sure that I was using the software properly. Thanks again.

I will do another project and update you on my progress!

7. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    No trouble at all, helping each other is what this forum is all about. :)

8. GregorySukull

GregorySukull New Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Hi Jonathon,

I did two other surveys and tried to get 70-80% overlap. The photos were both successfully stitch and the image was flawless. Thank you so much for your help and advice. I will upload the images so you can have a look.

In my original post I had wanted to know how to superimpose the image on to google earth. Any advice on how i can go about this?

9. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Really glad that I helped! I think you have to export as a kml file somehow. I haven't tried it before. if you find out how to do it let us know. Or if I find out first I'll put it here. :)

10. Peter

Peter New Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Male
    Drone pilot
    Australia

The 3d file must be a .kmz format and then all you do is go right click and "open with" on the file select Google Earth. It will open at exactly the location. I did one tonight but the program that created the 3d files also created the google earth file.

This may help
    http://www.texas811.org/public/userfiles/pdfs/Viewing_and_creating_KMZ_or_KML_files.pdf

Or

11. Peter

Peter New Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Male
    Drone pilot
    Australia
    As I am going through Agisoft I see you can save as a .kmz file from the menu. Did a test opening to Google Earth and works perfectly.