Help About 3D Mapping

Discussion in 'Drone Aerial Videos and Photographs' started by marmaris, Sep 11, 2014.

1. marmaris

marmaris New Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Hi to all,
    i m doing aerial photography and video for few years and sold my all used equipments, now planning to buy s900 with A2 controller , zenmuse z15 ( Sony Nex 7 ) for photography and video.
    My question is now i m interested about 3D Mapping, and i dont know what additional equipments i must buy for s900 for 3D Mapping? I google about 3d mapping and i see that some ppl using ardupilot and apm is trigger photo automatically and recording gps logs, so if i use dji iosd mark 2 is it recording logs? and Zenmuse with sony nex 7 trigger photo automatically? 
    Thanks

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    First off I recommend buying the S900 with Wookong controller, the A2 has issues.

Second, have you read this: http://www.droneminds.com/aerial-filming/how-to-geotag-and-create-3d-models-from-aerial-photographs.html

If you're using a Sony NEX camera you will need a separate geo logger, and using a Gentled Auto like this http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentled/auto.htm will make things easier.

The OSD MK II has no really useful information inside, it doesn't time stamp the logs so they are useless.

I'm currently experimenting with a Nikon D5300, which has a built in intervalometer, so you don't need the Gentled thing, and a GPS which geotags your photos for you, so you don't need a geologger.

3. marmaris

marmaris New Member

Sep 11, 2014
    thanks for your reply , i read your information about how to do, i think dji still need improvement about it, because i check many forums about 3d mapping and many ppl suggest APM, its trigger automatically, gps logs osd and look like much easier..  now i think to build another multirotor system with apm for 3d mapping, maybe x8 or hexa ...

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    Yeah, Ardupilot does seem to do everything, just it's a total pain to get it to work. Still, if you go that way please show us the results. I'll have a go at some more soon and post results up here.

5. marmaris

marmaris New Member

Sep 11, 2014
    ok mate