Drone Racing, Racing Drones

Discussion in 'Drone Beginners Corner' started by Dava, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Dava

Dava Active Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Male
    Walrus polisher.
    I've been seeing this mentioned alot recently. I like the idea but what is a racing drone exactly, can I buy one or do I have to make it myself? How do you do it, I mean race a drone. What do you need?

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    Basically, a racing drone is usually a small quadcopter, though there are some hexas, with an FPV camera or Gorpo stuck on the front. The idea, a bit like formula one racing, is to get your drone as light, agile and fast as possible. No real need for GPS, or even atti mode really. Manual flying all the way to get loads of forward tilt and lots of speed. Most of the racing drones are pretty small, pretty much fit in your hand. Most people use video goggles like fatsharks to see where they''re going. A bonus, for the time being, is they're actually pretty cheap to build, being so small. Quite a few places are making rtf racing drones now too, some for a few hundred dollars. I wouldn't be surprised though if they get more sophisticated and more expensive if the sport gets bigger. There's already been a $25,000 prize funded championships, so it might grow into crazy prize money territory before long. :)

Mandy likes this.
  3. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    Also, have a look at this. Not sure where you are, but this is in UK. They're only practicing so it's a bit overgrown. I think most drone racing circuits are more slick than this, with gates to fly through.

4. DukeM

DukeM Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Male
    Koln
    A friend posted this on Twitter, it looks quite good if ignore advertizing.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3176333/Forget-Formula-One-Drones-dodge-obstacles-crash-tackling-findishly-difficult-race-course.html

5. Dava

Dava Active Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Male
    Walrus polisher.
    Would this make a good racing drone? This guy is flying it around his house, cools skilz. :)

6. hary Smith

hary Smith New Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Male
    A racing drone is a small quadcopter drone and these types of drone are able to fly in more speed.Drone racing is a sport where drone pilots strive to build extremely fast and agile multi-rotors (otherwise known as drones) to fly around a set course as fast as possible. I'm sharing you URL please go through with these URL maybe these are helpful for you.I found these URL whenever I'm searching about racing drones

https://www.dronomag.com/racing-drone/
    http://www.topdronesforsale.org/drone-racing-new-level-of-sport/

7. Mandy

Mandy New Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Nice introduction. Got it.