DJI Phantom 3 Advanced and Professional Differences?

Discussion in 'DJI Drones' started by Ragnarok, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Member

Jul 28, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    I'm think to buy one of these but it is a lot of money so I want to know which one  to get as Pro is considerablly more money.

I know pro one has a 4k camera and adv has 1080p, so I want to know:

1. Is it worth extra for 4K camera, do I need it?
    2. What other differences are between two phantom 3's?

2. Mick

Mick Member

Oct 15, 2014
    The camera is the only difference between the 2 machines. I'm going for the advanced version as I have no 4k tv or any other display unit of this resolution...well not yet. But I think it will be good enough for now.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    As Mick says, the camera is the only difference. The body is identical, and the radio. In fact you can buy the camera separately, so you can always get the 4K camera later if you need it, assuming you don't now.

However, there are a few advantages to having a 4K camera aside from watching your videos in beautiful 4K on a 4K TV or computer monitor. If you're into editing videos, or intending to film professionally, you have a lot more leeway with what you can do with 4K video. As well has being able to get quite nice stills from the video, you can cut into the video and get a close-up, for example, that's still 1080p in size. You can also move the video frame to get a particular object where you want it within a 1080p frame, which is 4x smaller than the 4K you shot the video in.

Also, you may want to edit out to 1080p now, but use the exact same shot later in 4K for whatever reason - you get a 4K monitor, a client wants the same thing in 4K, you want to sell your 4K clip for more money than you'd get for 1080p on a stock video site.

Finally, not much of a big deal, the Pro Phantom 3 has a more powerful battery charger so your batteries will charge a bit quicker. However, you can buy those separately anyway and may even end up buying a second or even a third one to speed up battery charging in future, or have one in your car and one at home?

4. DukeM

DukeM Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Male
    Koln
    Interesting ideas about 4K video Jonathan that I never thought of myself. I can't afford a phantom 3 but it is worth consideration if I get the needed money.

5. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Member

Jul 28, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Great info, thank you. Jonathan, I am not sure what all the things you say mean about making 4k into 1080 and closeups and some other stuff?

6. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    I'll make a video explaining, using some 4K footage I took a few weeks ago.

7. DukeM

DukeM Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Male
    Koln
    That video sounds useful. I look forward to watching it. Exactly the kind of thing I joined for.  8)

8. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Ok, you've convinced me. I will definitely do this have a go at doing this tomorrow! :)

9. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Re: DJI Phantom 3 4K Video Editing Tricks

Okay, I made the video today, hope it all makes sense.

10. Mick

Mick Member

Oct 15, 2014
    The flexibility you have with 4K when editing is big advantage. Anyway I got my Phantom 3 Advanced today, just getting everything in order for the first flight, whenever that maybe as this weather we are having here in Ireland recently is deplorable.(wind,rain,cats&dogs etc.)

11. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Glad you got a Phantom 3, I really like it. Weather not so good here either.

12. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Member

Jul 28, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Fantastic video, thank you for posting it.  :)

13. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Thanks. I think it could have been better, but I just want to quickly show some possibilities with 4k rendered to 1080p.