Can I use old LiPo battery pack for my quad?

Discussion in 'Drone Beginners Corner' started by Lenna, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Lenna

Lenna New Member

Jul 6, 2017
    #1 Lenna, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    I ordered a Tattu 4s LiPo battery pack back in 2012 (5 y.o) and since then it’s been just sitting in my attic without any use. Voltage on each cell is ~3.75V (was around ~3.8V back in 2012) and battery surface doesn't have any “puffing”. It it still safe to use for quadcopter/RC car projects?

2. DivenParker

DivenParker New Member

Mar 9, 2017
    Male
    Check all the datas, single voltage and IR. If all the datas show no problem, then go gentle, don't be too violent...

3. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    It should be fine as long as it isn't damaged. They just wear down each time you charge and use them. Just charge it up and try in a car and see how long it lasts before it runs out.

4. CoraDias

CoraDias New Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Male
    #4 CoraDias, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Hi..i am a new user here. As per my knowledge Voltage affects brushless motors RPM directly, therefore you could use higher cell count batteries to increase your quadcopter’s speed if your motor/ESC and other electroincs support higher voltage.
    But a battery with more cells of the same capacity is heavier since it contains more cells. To make a 4S 1000mah battery, you could simply combine two 2S 1000mah, or one 3S 1000mah with an 1S 1000mah.LiPo battery is designed to operate within a safe voltage range, from 3V to 4.2V. Discharging below 3V could cause irreversible performance lost and even damage to the battery. Over-charging above 4.2V could be dangerous and eventually cause fire.

pcb prototyping

5. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    There is an optimum power to weight ratio for any given drone. You can connect the same power and voltage lipo batteries together to create bigger batteries, either by connecting them in 'series' to increase the voltage, connecting 3 1 cell (1S) 3.7V batteries to create a 3 cell (3S) battery of 11.1V, which is what a 3 or 4 S lipo battery is actually, 3 or 4 single cells connected together.
    Or, you can connect them in parallel, which increases the mili-amps but not the voltage - so connected 3 1000mah 1S batteries together in parallel will create a 3000mah 1S battery.
    With a good, modern battery charger it isn't possible to overcharge a battery, it will cut off before that happens. Still, definitely don't leave charging lipo batteries unattended as they can develop faults, where gasses can leak inside the battery and cause it to puff up. If this happens definitely don't try to charge the battery!