#1 tip for IMPROVING your drone footage - a tutorial

Discussion in 'Drone Aerial Videos and Photographs' started by Nuno B., May 8, 2017.

1. Nuno B.

Nuno B. New Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Male
    Hi everyone, new to the forum. I this post is the wrong section, please let me know !
    I thought I'd share a my first tutorial, on the #1 activity you can do to improve your drone footage in post.

Let me know what you think and if you find these tutorials useful.

Thanks !

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    It's a nice first drone video tutorial. I never used FCP before, but I have been tempted to go Apple and FCP just so I don't have to keep paying for Adobe stuff every month.

3. Nuno B.

Nuno B. New Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Male
    Hi Jonathan, thanks for the feedback. I highly recommend FCPX, it's much faster than Premiere at rendering, as an example this 8 minute tutorial, rendered in less than 1min on my MBP 15" 2016, granted it's just a sequence of clips that are not color graded and to which no effects are applied, but for a color graded UHD footage, mixed with other camera footage, transition effects, etc. for a total clip duration of about 3 mins, I can render in about 30s-1min tops. FCPX if fully optimized for mac hardware, thus the difference.

Have you experimented with the trial version Apple offers through their website ? It's a 30 day trial if I'm not mistaken.

The transition from Premiere to FCPX might take some getting used to, specifically around how the timeline works, but I find FCPX easier to use overall while still being able to perform the same type of more complex editing. Plus there are tons of plugins out there that you can install for FCPX that further expand it's capabilities (titles, color grading presets, animations, etc.)

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    Well, I don't have an Apple computer yet, so I need to do that first. I do upload some stuff to Getty and they started accepting 4K video in the last year, but for some crazy reason they will only accept prores, so if I want to upload 4K footage I have to get a mac of some sort. Even if you try using software to convert files to prores on a PC their website simply won't accept it. I really want to upload 4K files, even more now because I can't! I thought about getting an old imac or something just so I can convert my video files to Apple prores. :)