Walkera Tali H500 Hexacopter

Discussion in 'General Drone Forums' started by Jonathan, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    I got this beautiful Tali H500 hexacopter from Walkera a few weeks ago and have to say I’m pretty impressed with it so far.

The build quality is very good, better than I’d expected, both on the hexacopter and the Devo 12E radio with built in FPV screen that came with it. It is a monocoque design, all one piece (well, two halves actually) like the DJI Phantom only six props instead of four. I do believe monocoque is the future for all multirotors and drones, just like it was for the motorcar back in the day.

The flight controller is a tuned and partially locked off Adupilot, which I’m actually quite pleased about as there’s a steep learning curve for getting Ardupilot to fly nice, but when it does it does.

The hexacopter does all the things you’d expect from current models; altitude and GPS hold, switch for return home, failsafe return home, and an extra GPS function that you can change in the software. Out of the box the extra function is an auto-panning mode that makes the drone fly on the spot in a circle. You can change this to ROI region of interest mode so it will circle around a spot at 5 metres or more, depending on how you set it in your radio.

You can also download an app on a smartphone or tablet called Droidplanner, which is a nice intuitive ground station program that allows you yo create waypoints on Google Earth and upload them to your Tali. To do this you need a special data cable that plugs directly from your phone to your Tali through an external socket on the Tali fuselage… then you choose waypoint flying as your third GPS function. Each waypoint can be edited for height and facing direction and loiter time, and can even be made a region of interest to circle around.

The Tali also comes with its own brushless gimbal that is very good at its job, I’m really impressed with it so far. No vibrations are getting through to the camera and it has fine adjustment poti screws on the outside that I haven’t had to use yet. The gimbal is compatible with Gopro cameras, which I will be using, but it also came with Walkera’s own iLook + which isn’t in the same league as Gopro exactly, but it’s not at all bad either.

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    Re: Walkera Tali H500 Unbox and Flight

Just got the carry case for the Tali H500 today, and here is the exciting video all about it: