Inspire 1 Losing GPS Midflight

Discussion in 'DJI Drones' started by Mystery.Shadow, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Mystery.Shadow

Mystery.Shadow Active Member

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    Flying a bit today Around 05:18 in the video, I went from 19 Satellites to ZERO!
    Lost ALL GPS. I switched to Atti Mode and brought the Inspire 1 back home.

I have flown in this area many times in the past. But recently been losing GPS frequently! This happening to anyone else?

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    Well it defaults to atti mode anyway if there's no GPS. Not so bad if you are flying too far away and you have a good idea of the way home from the video screen, but can be pretty scary otherwise - especially if you're running low on battery. I guess it's possible they were doing something there that in terfered with your GPS signal? Or it could be extreme solar flare activity. I lot of people watch solar activity in rleation to their drone flights, but it's not something I ever paid much attention to. I always figured if my GPS wasn't working I'd just fly more carefully without it. If you have a second drone, a phantome or something, you could fly that in the same place if it happens again and see if it affects that drone as well?

3. Mystery.Shadow

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    Was thinking about getting a Mavic Pro for it's portability. When I get it, I'll have to see if it's effected the same way.
    A friend of mine just got a Phantom 3 Standard, he's been flying it everywhere!! Thus far, he has not mentioned any problems with losing GPS.

I've checked the KP Index the day of the flight, it was high (KP 4) but not "dangerous" like 6 or anything. I know I was flying around a giant metal structure, but I've flown around/over many buildings before without losing GPS.

Just found it strange to have a good lock on NINTEEN Satellites, then *Poof!* none....

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    I lot GPS once flying around a large radio mast.

5. Mystery.Shadow

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    During this flight I lost GPS. But within a few seconds, GPS was reestablished and all was good!

Lost GPS around 00:30 and reconnected about 00:36. Was the first time I had it reconnect to GPS. Was going to bring her home, but after GPS was reestablished, I continued to fly withOUT any further problems.
    Is this happening to anyone else?!

6. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Do you update firmware? I haven't touched mine in a year at least.

7. Mystery.Shadow

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    Yes, I always check for firmware updates. The Inspire is on the latest, not sure why it keeps losing GPS.

A friend of mine flew his Phantom 3 Standard in the same place as the original video with no problems.

8. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    I was wondering if a firmware update might be the problem. DJI has a history of dodgy updates. I updated a p4 last year which made the video reception terrible, so I put it back to the previous firmware which fixed it.

9. Mystery.Shadow

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    Is there a way to downgrade an update, or did you have to reset and update to only that point?