Ardu-copter flipping sideways instead of taking off

Discussion in 'General Drone Forums' started by Roi Neustadt, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Roi Neustadt

Roi Neustadt New Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Male
    Hello!
    i have built an Ardu-quad-copter around the HobbyKing PixFalcon flight controller.
    i'v made a serious effort to try to learn how to calibrate the drone using Mission Planner and tried all possible CW and CCW combinations - Yet the quad-copter just stays in place or flips on its side - instead of taking off symmetrically.

Can anyone please help me solve this problem?

Thanks.

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    Did you calibrate each of the ESCs, calibrate the throttle range for each motor?

Roi Neustadt likes this.
  3. Roi Neustadt

Roi Neustadt New Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Male
    I'v gone through the Mission Planner wizard step by step.

4. P13

P13 New Member

Sep 14, 2015
    Is your compass pointing the correct way. Some of the Chinese compasses sometimes have the arrows incorrect. Trying taking off in Altitude Hold and see if there's any difference.

Roi Neustadt likes this.
  5. Roi Neustadt

Roi Neustadt New Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Male
    I wonder if i did not calibrate the ESC's well enough.
    i hope that what's described in the following video, which is calibrating the ESC's one by one when not while connected to the flight controller, is what actually i did not do:

6. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Yes, you do not connect to fc to calibrate esc, just connect each esc to throttle channel on your receiver one at a time. It has nothing to do with mission planner, just something you need to do with any self build drone.

Roi Neustadt likes this.
  7. Roi Neustadt

Roi Neustadt New Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Male
    OK -
    Now that i'v gone through ESC firmware upload again and calibrated the ESC's - all done on the ESC's one by one - i'm kind of lost, since i still get a sideways flipping, instead of a symmetrical take off.

b.t.w the motors all start and speed up in sync now - so that is probably not the problem...

Any ideas what should be next on my problem elimination check list?

Thanks.

8. Roi Neustadt

Roi Neustadt New Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Male
    Here is a video i just took. You can see i am pushing the throttle stick up 3 times - and letting it back down every time - since i already know it ends up in a flip at the direction it starts tilting in the video. That is, i don't want to push the throttle any further and damage the props more than already damaged in previous 5-6 full flips:

http://sendvid.com/4qy53uuc

9. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Did you try what P13 said?

Roi Neustadt likes this.
  10. Roi Neustadt

Roi Neustadt New Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Male
    Sorry P13 - i forgot to try your suggestion and reply.
    How do i take off in Altitude Hold?

11. Roi Neustadt

Roi Neustadt New Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Male
    Here is the FC i have:
    PixFalcon Micro PX4 Autopilot

I don't seem to find decent documentation.

When i connect the 4 motors to channels 1234, where channels 1 is a Futaba with black, red, white wires and channel 4 is blue wire Futaba with only data and channel 5 is yellow wire with only data and channel 6 is green wire with only data - i get 3 motors turning CW and only 1 turning CCW.

12. Roi Neustadt

Roi Neustadt New Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Male
    At last got it right! it's flying! But not yet very precisely..
    So first of all: Jonathan, P13 and anyone else who replied - Thanks a lot!

Now for the fine tuning issues: need it to take off as symmetrically as possible and to hover over a position, as stable as possible - any advice?

Need a 1-1.5 kg payload power and no need for speed or acceleration at all - Only stability at a 5 meter hovering height is what's important here.

Any specific type of frame, motors or props to recommend, in relation to such a mission?

Thanks!

13. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    That's great you got it working. Have you seen ecalc?
    http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc.php

Helps you figure stuff like that out. It's a bit nerdy though. 1.5 kg is quite heavy, so the setup may be expensive. You would probably looking to build a hexacopter or octocopter with a couple of 20,000 mah 6 cell batteries, not cheap. And looking at props around the 20 inch size, depending on the number of motors, with appropriate motors, say t-motor, and a big Tarot frame.

Roi Neustadt likes this.
  14. Roi Neustadt

Roi Neustadt New Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Male
    Jonathan - in the ecalc, what does drive stand for? props and motors?

15. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
  16. Roi Neustadt

Roi Neustadt New Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Male
    #16 Roi Neustadt, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Hello people,
    i'v changed the frame, props and motors - but kept the entire setup exactly as it was with previous components - but yet, the new drone won't get off the ground.

Attached below are pictures of the new drone props setup.

Here is the motors model:
    https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=34227

Here is the props model:
    https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=39773

Here is the frame model:
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...otal_width_EU_warehouse_.html?strSearch=epp 8

1. The front right prop is a CCW type, the motor attached to it is spinning CCW and it is connected to the black,red.white wires - which is channel number 1 and the only channel that has 3 wires and not just the data. Of course data + and - are connected right.
    2. The rear left prop is a CCW type, the motor attached to it is spinning CCW and it is connected to the blue wire of channel number 2.
    3. The front left prop is a CW type, the motor attached to it is spinning CW and it is connected to the yellow wire of channel number 3.
    4. The read right prop is a CW type, the motor attache to it is spinning CW and it is connected to the green wire of channel number 4.

p.s.
    i'm using a PixFalcon FC:
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Micro_PX4_Autopilot.html?strSearch=pixfalcon

What could be the problem?

Thanks a lot. IMG_20160503_175144.jpg IMG_20160503_175156.jpg IMG_20160503_175202.jpg IMG_20160503_175206.jpg IMG_20160503_175212.jpg

17. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    I think you have the props on wrong? The front right and rear left are clockwise spinning props, and the other two are ccw. They pitch up towards the direction they spin.