Windy Day at Roseberry Topping with Phantom 3 Pro

Discussion in 'DJI Drones' started by Sara, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Sara

Sara Drone Minds Presenter/Pilot

Sep 9, 2015
    Female
    York, UK
    #1 Sara, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2016
    Few weeks ago we climbed this 1,049 feet (320 m) hill in North Yorkshire only to find out that it was more windy than anticipated. The gimbal was shaking and some shots didn't come out right. I've edited the video in Adobe Premiere Pro CC, used warp stabilizer effect to get rid of the unwanted camera movements. It's a very powerful tool, and after playing around with different settings its still not perfect. You can see at 1:26 how the Wrap stabilizer didn't correctly analyse the clip. Onwards and upwards next time I'll nail it!
    hope you'll like the video ;)

phantom.JPG withasign2 (2).JPG phantom2.JPG

2. Eric Matyas

Eric Matyas Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Male
    Wow...great...I want to visit there!

What's that small stone structure that's all by itself? And is that the North Sea way off in the background?

3. Sara

Sep 9, 2015
    Female
    York, UK
  4. lotusteve

lotusteve Member

Oct 28, 2015
    Male
    sheffield
    very nice..

5. Mystery.Shadow

Mystery.Shadow Active Member

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    Beautiful countryside!

6. Sara

Sep 9, 2015
    Female
    York, UK
    I'm glad you both liked it! More sunny days on their way:)

7. Richie

Richie New Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Male
    Research Biologist
    Berkshire
    Hi Sara.

Great video! I've recently purchased a P3P and trying to find optimal camera settings. What did you select for contrast / sharpness etc? I've been told minus figures are better so that everything can be brought back up to level in post production ?

The camera snap shots are a bit disappointing for clarity but I've heard this is on the whole normal?

Thanks
    Rich :)

8. Sara

Sep 9, 2015
    Female
    York, UK
    HI Richie,
    The still images and video from the Phantom are never going to be up to professional standards. The aspherical lens on the camera cancels the fisheye wide angle effect, but it will cause blurry edges. For best looking pictures it’s recommended to shoot in RAW, you will then have the advantage of control over how they are processed.
    For video:
    If you shoot in D-Log you’ll have better colour editing freedom afterwards or you can play around with the DJI presets in the colour settings.

For both video and photography it is best to keep the ISO low.

9. Richie

Richie New Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Male
    Research Biologist
    Berkshire
    Hi Sara
    Thanks for the reply. I'm referring to the settings in the GJI GO ( see attached image ) . What did you have yours set at ?
    Yes I process the DNG files although close up in dark light the dead pixels look like stars at night . DJI have a DNG cleaner which seems to work but a bit of cheat on their behalf really.

Attached Files:

10. Sara

Sep 9, 2015
    Female
    York, UK
    I see...yes ours is always set on standard or 0 and we alter the sharpness, contrast etc in Adobe Premiere Pro CC or Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.

11. Richie

Richie New Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Male
    Research Biologist
    Berkshire
    Ok great thanks. Have you adjusted your gain values ? This is something I've not touched as yet but footage is very stable so probably no need to change.

12. Sara

Sep 9, 2015
    Female
    York, UK
    Never touched them...just left it as it is...Have you played around with them?

13. Richie

Richie New Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Male
    Research Biologist
    Berkshire
    No I haven't yet. I've been mostly focusing on camera adjustments . Everything is still on default 100. When the weather improves I'll be able to get more flights in and try everything out. Yesterday I was only up 15 minutes and had to get it down quick because it suddenly started to rain lol

Sara likes this.
  14. Yay, my local patch. Been up and flown there many times. Still find it funny to see myself sat/stood on the top in your video!

15. Sara

Sep 9, 2015
    Female
    York, UK
    You're lucky to live near such a beautiful landscape! I saw you Captain Cook 's Monument video, you should share/embed it here its so good, deserves more views :) really spectacular views and good flying skills.