Time to start a new build (with your help)

Discussion in 'Drone Beginners Corner' started by Dave Taylor, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Dave Taylor

Dave Taylor New Member

Mar 27, 2016
    Male
    Since I have made up my mind to get a pre-ordered Yuneec Typhoon H for my Video drone and
    a couple of starter (learning) drones:

Potensic® Upgraded X5C-1 Syma Explorer 2.4GHz 6 Axis Gyro 4CH RC Quadcopter with 2 Megapixels Camera

and

JJRC H20C Nano 2MP Camera Hexacopter Quadcopter 2.4G 6CH 6Axis Headless Mode RTF

I also bought a Fly Sky T6 because of the good reviews but I also want a i10 to go with my new build.

I have plenty of battery chargers (been working with LiPo's and LiOn for years)
    I have been in Electronics most of my adult life and am good with mechanics and a fair programmer, although I really don't want to go that far because my brain is getting old.

I think it's time to get started building my own from scratch.
    I have no clue where to start.

I was looking at getting a frame first. I guess maybe a 300-400 size but I am not even sure that's where I need to start. I want to build up to getting all of the better parts to assemble this thing. I would imagine by the time it will take to assemble it all I will know a lot more about this hobby.
    Buying a kit is not out of the question as long as I can customize it as I see fit (interchangeability is the word of the day)

I am close to retirement so I will have plenty of time but I want to get started because you just never know what tomorrow will bring.

Any thoughts?

Thanks ahead of time, Dave

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    The main parts you need to build your own drone are:
    A frame

Brushless motors

ESCs, one for each motor

Propellers

A flight controller

An OSD for telemetry, unless flight controller does that for you

A radio controller and receiver

A video transmitter and receiver/fpv screen or goggles

Suitable batteries.

A lot of the above depends on how big and powerful you want it to be.

Mandy likes this.