The new Phantom 4?

Discussion in 'DJI Drones' started by Sara, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Sara

Sara Drone Minds Presenter/Pilot

Sep 9, 2015
    Female
    York, UK
    The stories about the new Phantom have been circulating on the Internet for some time now, but the new teaser from DJI has given us something to think about.

As usual the DJI's dramatic video looks like they will change the world, but if the gossip's right they may just disrupt the drone market yet again. Whether it's the completely new Phantom 4 or just an upgrade we could expect anything from the collision avoidance to the improved shell design. Hopefully the announcement on the 1st of March will clear things up and stop us guessing.

What changes/improvements would be most preferable?

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    Saw this today.
    P4_Go_Appc.jpg

3. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Here's a better picture of the DJI Phantom 4, codename tomato.
    download.jpg

4. Richie

Richie New Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Male
    Research Biologist
    Berkshire
    It's quite ugly with the tall motor design don't you think ?

5. Sara

Sara Drone Minds Presenter/Pilot

Sep 9, 2015
    Female
    York, UK
    well ugly or not, we've got it pre-ordered and can't wait to share with my videos once it's here:)

6. Richie

Richie New Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Male
    Research Biologist
    Berkshire
    It's also forced P3 prices down too so good for anyone upgrading from P2 or lower. Be interesting to see in future if we start seeing less "good condition" used p4 examples being sold compared to previous versions now that we have the "sport " mode introduced lol. More P4 trashed videos to come :) ? Hopefully not lol
    Yes look forward to your feedback on the P4 :)

7. Mystery.Shadow

Mystery.Shadow Active Member

Nov 17, 2015
    Male
    It's designed like that to attempt to prevent the props from being seen in the video it takes.

Richie likes this.
  8. Mick

Mick Member

Oct 15, 2014
    For somene who bought the DJI P3 hardshell backpack I wonder will the P4 fit in?

9. Andrew Littler

Andrew Littler New Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    York
    Took my new Phantom 4 out yesterday. Gotta say it's amazing! Will post vids soon. It's everything I wished for and more...

lotusteve, Sara and Jonathan like this.
  10. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
  11. Andrew Littler

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    York
    Here is the link to my 3rd flight using the Phantom 4. I am very pleased with the quality of this drone all round. I have seen videos of people crashing these drones already, it's because they have not read the instructions at all... You can't fly this in sport with anti collision and the sensors are on the front not the back. Hence people crashing them. Follow instructions and watch DJI tutorials first!

i will post some more videos once I have practised some more using both the drones and iMovie!

12. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    I think the roll angle needs adjusting or fixing somehow?

13. Andrew Littler

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    York
    Jonathan, Yes you were totally right. Adjusted it in gimbal the settings. Thanks.

Jonathan likes this.
  14. Andrew Littler

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    York
    New Phantom 4 flight Easter Friday. Nice sunny day. However I got low signal messages at only 750m out. Will try again another day to see what happens. Perhaps this is the campsites wifi repeater close to me. Any thoughts welcome from DJI experienced pilots.

15. Richie

Richie New Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Male
    Research Biologist
    Berkshire
    Everywhere you google with P4 as the subject , majority is discussion around poor distance compared to P3 in one form or another.

Checkout Phantom Pilots forum

16. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    I wonder if they crippled the distance capabilities to better comply with local laws, to stop people flying ludicrous distances?

17. Richie

Richie New Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Male
    Research Biologist
    Berkshire
    I think they are pulling on the reigns slowly but surely in hope it goes unnoticed . It seems that in the states distance is a key importance so no matter what restrictions are implemented , users will found a way round it through even more dangerous/warranty voiding modifications. Difficult one.

18. Andrew Littler

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    York
    I've seen some distance tests on you tube where the P4 went out to 4.2 miles. Perhaps they will be restricting eventually but in some cases they are been flown insane distances too.