Suggestions for DSLR gimbal (GH3/4 or 70D) wanted???

Discussion in 'Drone Cameras and Camera Gimbals' started by photojunky, Oct 14, 2017.

1. photojunky

photojunky Member

May 4, 2016
    Male
    I have seen a couple of dslr gimbals on ebay, some with motors and some without. Some with circuit boards and some without. I have no idea where to start. What I am looking for is a dslr gimbal that can accommodate a few different cameras and that is not made for one specific camera. Any suggestions?

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    #2 Jonathan, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    I tried a lot of them before the days of drones with built in cameras. The best ones were the DJI zenmuse gimbals. They are made for specific cameras, but will work with others if they are about the same size, just need to balance it first.

The Alexmos boards are the most famous, and were pretty much what started the whole brushless gimbal revolution. They aren’t too difficult to setup. The 32 bit ones are better. I think they’re quite well developed now?
    https://www.basecamelectronics.com/
    The Phobotics boards are pretty good too. I believe they have quite a lengthy initialisation process, but stay locked in nicely once it’s done?
    https://phobotic.com/

The least hassle is definitely a zenmuze though, just works when you power it up. You might be able to find a cheap used one on eBay?
    Zenmuse Gimbal on DJI website

3. photojunky

photojunky Member

May 4, 2016
    Male
    Will the Zenmuse gimbal attached to my m v2 flight controller just like a cheaper Walkera gimbal would? In reality, that aspect is very simple, just a couple of wires for roll and yaw in addition to the power wires. I already have the camera hooked up to a HD to analog converter and transmitter so that is no problem. I don't need to use DJI lightbridge system. Thanks for your reply.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    You don’t need to attach the zenmuse, or the others, to your flight controller, they have their own controller. Just need a few spare channels on your receiver for tilt, and maybe pan, and to activate the shutter. You don’t need a lightbridge unless you want hd video transmission. I would recommend it though as it’s a lot better than sd video transmission, safer as well.

photojunky likes this.
  5. photojunky

photojunky Member

May 4, 2016
    Male
    Thank you, that makes a lot more sense now. I am looking at one on eBay that has the Alexmos 16 bit, not 32-bit controller. Although when I look online for information, I don't really see anything for a 16-bit, just ate or 32. That should be easy enough to swap out if it's no good. It is built and complete with motors and controller for 400 American dollars. Very tempted to push the buy button.

Attached Files:

6. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    I had that one, was from Maytech, they probably have new ones now?
    http://www.maytech.cn/en/product/fpv/gimbal-frame/3-axis-gimbal-frame
    You can buy stuff directly from them if you want, might be cheaper?

7. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    photojunky likes this.