Sony HDR-AZ1 wifi extender?

Discussion in 'FPV Setups and Racing Drones' started by DougWood1, Sep 19, 2016.

1. DougWood1

DougWood1 New Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Male
    So this is actually two questions. Anyone use the Sony HDR-AZ1 Action Cam?
    How do you get around it's limited wi-fi range? I'm trying to figure out how to use a wifi router to repeat the signal but can't figure out how to link the two. I tried to use a usb connection to link them but could only access the files on the mini sd card, not the camera itself.
    Is Sony a waste and should I simply bite the bullet and go for a GoPro?
    Thanks in advance.

Doug

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    Drone Aerial Photographer
    York
    I never tried the Sony HDR-AZ1. The shape looks good and I know a lot of people like it, but I always preferred Gopro until DJI started making their own cameras. Do you mean using the wifi to get the file off or to see the live video?

3. DougWood1

DougWood1 New Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Male
    I'm trying to see the live video. I'm not tech savvy, but know most drones use some type of extender to increase the range of the FPV camera so the drone can fly farther away. I'm thinking about a DJI 3 Pro but there are cheaper options if I use a camera I already have. I'm also using this camera to video when I'm hunting and I thought it would be neat to position it 30-40 yards away from me but it only has about 15 yards of range using the on-board WiFi back to my phone. I've read about it being done with a go pro, but never with a Sony. Thanks in advance!

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Usually, using your own camera like a gopro, you would run a cable from the live video out to a video transmitter, then have a receiver attached to a screen or goggles. You wouldn't use the Gopro's wifi to receive video. Using wifi just with your phone is not very good either.

Using a video transmitter and receiver you can get a signal to travel many miles.

5. DougWood1

DougWood1 New Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Male
    And that's why you ask someone who knows what they're talking about. Jonathan, thanks, you had information I've been looking for for months. And after some further digging, my Sony action cam won't do AV out via USB, so it won't work on a drone. Guess I'll probably go with the DJI 3 Advanced or Pro version if I can find a good used one. Prices are dropping with everyone wanting to upgrade to the 4.

Again, thanks everyone. I'll try and get something up for everyone to see as soon as I get my quad.

Doug

6. Jonathan

Jonathan Drone Expert
    Crew

Aug 31, 2013
    Male
    York
    Cool, Using gopros etc on drones is so yesterday. The p3 is definitely a good direction to take if you have the money, much less hassle.